Chapter ten

"How many men?" Roman asks.

Him, his father and I were speed walking through the ballroom area.

"Not sure. I sent security to the front and back doors. They are probably trying to get the element of surprise and will most likely go through the back. You two need to leave." He says calmly.

I, on the other hand, was freaking out. If there was a group here after Roman and his father and they were anything like Roman and the guys, this was a good reason to panic.

Roman nods and we begin walking towards the front door when gunshots erupt throughout the house. They were loud but sounded like they were coming from out back.

The people, who I assumed were just totally normal rich folks, start screaming and running towards the exits. A few stay behind. More than likely they were working for Mr. Brooks.

Roman puts his hand around the middle of my back and quickly walks me toward an exit.

We tried getting out of the ballroom but there had been about fifty panicked people in our way.

"Fucking move!" Roman shouts.

I look back behind us to see if Roman's father was still there but he had disappeared. There was a tall, dark-haired man directly across the room from us.

He was watching me. He didn't seem panicked like everyone else.

"Roman." I whisper, keeping my eyes on the man.

"What?" He shouts.

"There's a man." I whisper again.

Just as Roman looks in the direction of the stranger, the man pulls a gun from his jacket and shoots.

Roman pushes me to the ground with him and we avoid the bullet. Unfortunately the screaming woman next to us doesn't. She falls to the ground.

I start shaking and tears threaten to fall from my eyes.

Roman fires back but the man had disappeared.

"We don't have time for this!" He shouts. He points his gun in the air and fires, startling the remaining people in the room trying to escape. They start running in a different direction and Roman grabs my hand and pulls me out of the house.

"Go to the limo!" He shouts.

I start running for the limo but stop when I notice the chauffeur. His window was rolled down and his head stuck out slightly. He laid there with a bullet wound right in the middle of his forehead.

"He's dead!" I shout and look at the ignition. "The keys are gone."

"DAMNIT!" Roman bangs his fist on the hood of the limo.

He looks over towards the section of garages and pulls out a black key fob.

"Over there!" He shouts.

We run over to the garage and Roman enters a code. The seven doors slide open revealing a room full of luxury cars.

He grabs my hand and pulls me towards a black one.

"Look at me!" He shouts.

My adrenaline was pumping so fast that I hadn't even realized I never started crying. I was more so in a state of shock. I was shaking and everything felt like it was going in slow motion.

"Jillian!" Roman shouts again.

I look up at him.

"Take this!" He hands me the key fob and opens the door to the black car.