Chapter eleven

We had been back at the house for around ten minutes. There was no sight of Kai or Carson and Roman was rushing around the house like a mad man.

I followed him up the stairs where I found him packing up my suitcase.

"What's going on?" I ask, both terrified and concerned.

"Neither of the men in that car was the guy from the party earlier." He says, throwing my clothes into the suitcase.

I think back to the first guy who had shot at us.

"Okay, why does that matter?" My voice shakes.

Roman finishes throwing things into the suitcase, zips it up and take it's downstairs.

I follow him closely.

"It matters because the man who saw you earlier is still alive." He sets the suitcase by the door.

I look at him even more confused than before. "I still don't-"

"That man, he works for a very powerful, very dangerous man named Dante. Originally Dante was a mafia leader out of Italy but him and his group have made it to the states. It matters because that man is going to go back to Dante and tell him all about you." He pauses. His eyes were looking deeply into mine and it almost seemed as if he was expressing some kind of regret. "You're not safe here anymore."

He walks back up the stairs.

My mind was racing. Did this mean somebody was coming after me? Where were we going? A million thoughts were running through my mind but before I could freak myself out anymore Kai and Carson opened the front door.

My mouth dropped as I looked at them. They were okay. They were alive.

"You're okay?" Kai asks.

I nod.

"Where's Roman?" Carson asks.

I point up the stairs just as Roman comes down the stairs with a black suitcase. "How bad is it?" He asks the boys.

"Twenty civilians dead. Us and some of the other guys took out nine men but security footage shows one man escaping out of the party with the crowd." Carson responds.

"Was he wearing all black with dark hair and a tattoo sleeve?" Roman asks and Carson nods.

"DAMNIT!" He pounds his fist into the wall causing me to jump a little.

"I'm getting Jillian out of here. I want you two to lock up the house and meet us down at the lake in five hours. Switch cars once you've reached the halfway point to make sure you're not being followed."

Kai and Carson nod and head upstairs.

"Come on, we're leaving." Roman says as he grabs my hand and pulls me out of the door.

I get inside the car and Roman grabs the bags and packs them inside the trunk.

I was starting to look at everything differently. What if we had already been followed on our way home? What if someone was watching us right now? What if leaving Kai and Carson behind gets them killed? If we weren't safe on campus did that mean Heather wasn't either?

"Roman-"

Roman gets inside the car, locks the doors and speeds off out of campus.

"Roman." I say again once we leave the university lot.

He stays quiet.

"Are we going to be okay?" I ask.

"It's not me I'm worried about. I know how to defend myself but you, you grew up thinking all the monsters of the world either only existed in fairytales or still deserved to be shown kindness and that is your fatal flaw. That's what's going to get you killed. Not knowing how to defend yourself from the very real, very dangerous people in this world."