Chapter thirteen

I hadn't slept all night. I sat there, frozen on the couch. My eyes were burning from crying and my body was weak.

An hour after the man passed away, Kai and Carson came into the room, untied him and got rid of the body. There was a pool of blood on the wood floor in front of me. I couldn't stop looking at it.

Eventually the sun started shining through the curtains. I heard the footsteps of the guys coming downstairs. Kai was cracking some kind of joke. How could they even laugh after last night?

After about an hour I was still frozen on the couch. The house smelled of pancakes.

"Jillian come eat." Roman says softly.

I stay put.

"Jillian come eat breakfast." He repeats a little louder.

I don't move.

"DAMNIT JILLIAN! GET THE FUCK IN HERE!" He shouts, startling the guys as they place their silverware down.

I slowly turn my head towards him. I turn away and get up but instead of going to the kitchen, I walk straight out the front door and onto the dock.

I didn't really care if he decided to kill me. I didn't care about anything other than the screams of that man. They kept echoing inside my head. I heard them all night long.

I sit down at the edge of the dock, my feet dangling off.

Maybe I should just jump.

"Don't jump." I hear Carson's voice from behind me. I don't respond.

He sits down next to me. "Sorry, bad joke." He doesn't speak after that. We continue staring out onto the lake for what felt like an eternity.

It was so quiet out here. I could hear insects buzzing and birds chirping in the trees.

I wished I could be a bird.

"I'm sorry you had to witness last night." Carson finally speaks.

I stay quiet.

"It wasn't cool that Roman made you watch. I know how traumatizing that can be."

"How?"

"I'm sorry?"

I keep my eyes ahead, looking out at the forest. "How do you know how traumatizing that can be?"

He takes a deep breath. "I was forced to watch my father get killed. I was nine."

I keep my focus on the forest.

He clears his throat. "He was tortured right in front of me. They kept him alive for hours before finally shooting him. They made me watch the entire time and once he was dead, they left me, sitting on the couch. I eventually had to be the one to call police."

I break my focus with the forest and turn toward Carson. He had a tear rolling down his cheek.

"How can you witness something like that and do the same thing?" I ask.

He looks over at me. I could see the sadness in his eyes. "The men that murdered my father were the same type of men that Dante has working for him now."

"I don't believe that man from last night was bad. They can't all be bad." I say quietly.

He shakes his head. "I'm sure they're not but there's a line you cross when you agree to become like that. There's no turning back. Some of the men working for Dante are just men that owe him for one purpose or another. They have families. They have hearts." He pauses. "But it doesn't change the fact that they're killers."