Chapter twelve

Thirty minutes had passed since Kai and Carson tied the man up in a chair in the living room. Roman had started a fire and now all the boys had scattered throughout the house, unpacking their things.

Roman told me that I had to sit and keep an eye on the man.

This had been a horrendous job.

I sat on the couch watching the man. His head was slouched over. He was taking breaths every three seconds.

By now I had already known that there was no way he was going to make it out of here alive and I prayed that by the time he woke up, Roman would let me leave so I didn't have to watch his unfortunate death.

He was wearing a gold ring on his left hand. He was somebody's husband. Possibly somebody's father.

How did this happen to you?

Carson hadn't held back when beating him up. He had multiple cuts along his face. He probably used a switchblade. His nose looked to be broken and by the way he was wheezing while breathing, I assumed he had a collapsed lung.

The fire behind him started to cackle as the wood became burnt. The house quickly started to warm up.

I get up and push more wood into the fireplace with a skewer.

I put the skewer back and return to the couch only to have the man staring back at me.

I open my mouth to let the boys know but he interrupts. "Please." He whispers. "Please untie me." A tear rolls down his cheek.

"I-I can't." I whisper back.

"Please." He begs quietly. "My wife, she's pregnant. She has no clue what I'm involved in. I can't leave her a widow."

I bite the inside of my cheek. I felt like sobbing with him but remember that he was following us and probably planned on doing the same thing.

"You were following us. You were going to kill us."

"I was following orders. We all have them. I'm not a bad guy." He cries.

"Why are you working for Dante then?"

He sighs. "I owe him. He ended up saving my wife's life. I don't have a choice."

I knew it. There was no way everyone involved in these gangs were all just evil people. I knew there had to be some kind of explanation.

"Please let me go. You can tell them I escaped."

"And then you'll tell Dante about me." I whisper.

He shakes his head. "No. I'd owe you! I'll make up some kind of lie and then me and my wife will leave the country. I should've never gotten involved in this mess in the first place."

His eyes were pleading with mine. He was terrified and more than likely telling the truth. If he wasn't, i'd have to live with the consequences but it would end up being much harder to live with the knowledge that I just got this man killed.

I nod. "You'll have to be quiet. If they catch you they won't hesitate-"

He nods. "I understand, just please hurry." He says with urgency.

I get off the couch and the moment I do a gunshot erupts through the house.

I freeze as the man screams in pain. The bullet had went right into his knee. I turn to see Roman emotionless and holding a gun while Kai held a knife and Carson had on brass knuckles.

"Please don't tell me you were actually about to let him go." Roman asks.

Without thinking, I immediately step in front of the man, shielding his body with mine. "Stop! Please let him go. He won't cause any trouble for us."