Chapter eighteen

"Damnit Carson! Could you please try going a little easier?" I ask, irritated.

Carson walks over to me and helps me up off the floor.

"If I were taking it easy on you, you'd never actually learn how to defend yourself."

We had been in the basement for over two hours. Roman had brought down boxing equipment and told Carson not to let me up until I dodged a punch and successfully punched him back. That may have been an easy task if Carson hadn't been experienced in fighting since he was thirteen.

Each time I would try to dodge and I'd fail and end up on the floor. My entire body was feeling bruised and exhausted.

"I can't do it anymore." I breath heavily.

Carson looks at me. I knew what he was going to say already. "I have orders."

"Okay and we're going to be at this all night. I need food and rest and then maybe I'll have enough will-power to try harder."

Carson stays quiet for a moment. I could tell he was trying to figure out what the right move was. He looks into my exhausted eyes once more before nodding.

I thank him, throw off the boxing gloves and run up the stairs.

"There's no way you took Carson down in under twelve hours." Kai speaks as I make my way into the kitchen.

"I didn't." I say, irritated.

He smirks. "Roman isn't going to like that you're taking a break."

"Roman's a robot!" I shout. "He doesn't need food or sleep. He doesn't have emotions for others. I don't really care what he's going to and not going to like."

Kai's eyes widen, surprised by my outburst.

I huff and turn back to pour myself a bowl of Cookie Crisp.

"She's tired." Carson says as he makes his way up from the basement.

"For Roman, that's not an excuse." Kai talks back to him.

"I'm not gonna make her stay down there until she passes out. Look at her." He points over to me.

Kai eyes me before speaking. "You do look like shit."

I roll my eyes and turn towards a mirror. My lip had been busted open, probably a result from Carson's multiple face hits. Both my arms had fresh bruises covering them.

I was kind of surprised on how rough Carson was being while trying to teach me. After spending all this time with him, it seemed like he was the gentlest of the group but when he started fighting, it was almost as if he'd black out. It didn't matter who I was, he had one job.

I finish my bowl and turn to the guys. "I'm going to bed."

It had only been 7:00 pm but I didn't care.

"Roman's not gonna like that when he gets home." Kai shouts as I walk up the stairs.

"Roman can kiss my ass!" I shout back.

It only took a few moments for me to pass out.

***

"How the hell did they find us?"

I wake up to Kai's voice shouting from downstairs.

I look over at the clock which read 9:37 pm.

I quietly slip out of bed and creak my door open.

"I don't know but they're here. I don't care who they have, we have to keep Jillian away from them." Carson talks back.

"How many are there?" Kai asks.