I Ash's P.O.V.

A/N: I would like to thank Tigertyler7 for giving me ideas to help me move forward as a contributor. Not to mention being a co-writer in various future fights and appeal scenes in the story. Thank you very much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was panting... I have never been so tired in my life and my pokemon were the ones who fought! But I had done it, I won against the last Brain Frontier. Sceptile, Charizard, and Pikachu had been exhausted by the end, but we persevered and were able to defeat the Regi Trio. Making us the first ones to have ever defeated the Battle Frontier.

But I somehow felt empty with my victory. Maybe it was that I had grown up a lot in the last two years, having taken May and Max under my wing had made me mature a bit. So, I could be the best example for them to follow. Or maybe it was the fact that since I lost in the Ever Grande Conference, I had started to second guess myself on everything. I knew I could have won and passed to the semi-finals, so, why didn't I? Why do I always make the wrong choice in pokemon and let them down over and over again?

I know now that my first ever league was pure luck, my second less so but I still could have done better, but by my third, I've already gathered a nice pool of pokemon and a lot of experience. So, why was that league one mistake after the other? Not to mention this year! The Battle Frontier...

I was better, much better... but I know I only won because of my pokemon. Not because I was a good trainer. Don't get me wrong, I am a nice trainer... but being nice doesn't mean I am good. It's not like I'll start being a bad trainer to be strong, but I have been neglecting my pokemon too much. I love the adventure of getting new pokemon and start their training from zero, it's always nice to expand my family and it's a new experience every time. But I shouldn't neglect my past pokemon for the new ones, most of my pokemon are only in shape because they keep training themselves while in the Ranch.

How foolish I was to recall pokemon during conferences and expect them to fight as if they had never left my side? I should have noticed that! Poor Kingler and Muk, they had never been on the road with me and they had always been so affectionate with me!

Touch starved for sure... Not to mention, Totodile and Cyndaquil, should have evolved by now! Primeape and Pidgeot had been forgotten as well... I am truly a horrible trainer...

Obliviousness is not bliss. My stupidity and naivety have been hurting my pokemon long enough!

"Pika pi?" I was snapped out of my gloomy thoughts by my best friend, my brother in all but blood and species.

"It's ok Pikachu," I smiled at my worried pokemon. "It will all be ok," I sighed. The weight that I had been feeling all year long was finally being lifted. "I'll make sure of it!"

"Pika pi!" Pikachu exclaimed, his eyes burning with determination.

He also looked relieved. No wonder he has surely noticed my weird behavior and has been concerned. I felt bad about worrying him, but this was the wakeup call I had been needing.

I stood up and left my room in the Pokemon Center. I was alone with May having already left for Johto, Max for Hoenn and Brock having gone back home. I knew it was late but I also knew that Professor Oak was awake. He always works late during this season, with the Indigo League being so close, a lot of trainers were training hard and needed his help at all sorts of times.

"Ash, my boy, what has you up so late?" Professor Oak asked me with a concerned frown.

"You see Professor, I have just realized what a conceited fool I have been," I chuckled humorlessly.