Chapter 15 : America Is Calling

KIM BONA

GD and I finally have arrived in New York less than one hour since we got off from the airport together. We are now in a rental car. GD is driving, and I keep looking at his attractive jawline for all the way to the hotel. I'm passionately staring at his handsome face while thinking of maybe they're right about what people say—home is a person, not a place. America is where I was born and where I used to live for almost my whole life. But now it's not home for me anymore. He is my home. Where he goes or where he lives, I will be there. That's all I know.

GD occasionally leaves his eyes from the road for a while and turns to give me a warm smile while his hand still holding the steering wheel. I smile back. He then reaches his free hand to me, and I automatically take it and hold it on my lap.

I was quite surprised when I knew that he has a driven license in here. Besides, he sort of seems expert in this neighborhood than me. He doesn't even need a GPS or Google Maps or something to guide any alleyways or streets.

"Where're you gonna go first after the hotel?" GD strays his eyes to catch mine for a second as driving into an alley.

"Neither hospital or my agency's. I don't know. I'm kinda jet-lagged," I honestly respond. "I want to visit my dad, too. But I think I can do it later. So many plans to run in here."

"Yeah. Right. Maybe we could start your plans tomorrow. What do you think?" he suggests and I agree with him as he's pulling the car into the driveway.

"This is not the hotel we searched," I say as gazing forward through the window of the car. The building in front of us absolutely looks different from the internet that I researched a couple days ago. This place doesn't even look like a hotel.

"You changed your mind? Where is this?"

"You'll see," he says with a smirk and drives the car into the parking lots.

When we got off the car, the porter heads straight to us and then pulls our stuff into a luggage trolley. GD gives a tip to the porter and takes a few steps ahead me. Then he turns around and expands his hand to me. I raise my eyebrows in confusion. So, he takes steps back, holding my hand, and takes a lead. I watch his back and our hands alternately, and I can't help but smile.

We walk hand in hand along the way from the lobby; checking in stuff, until down the hallway on the 8th floor. We follow the porter until he stops at a door that has a number 810 on it. I look around this hallway and I realize there are just two rooms on this floor. I don't think this is an actual hotel. Maybe this is a grand hotel or something like GD's style. Maybe he wouldn't like the hotel that I chose. Therefore, I better keep my mouth shut for a while and wait to see next.

GD has a chit-chat with a porter for a second before he's gone.

"Come on, babe," GD says, unlocking the door.

I considerably stare at him, arm crossed.

"What?" He raises his eyebrows, holding the door open.

"I'm telling you first. If this place charges me an arm and a leg, I will not pay for the rent at all. I'm broke, remember?" I tease him, deep down I kind of mean it.

He bursts out laughing a little, and I imitate him.

"You're broke? And what about I gave you a credit card—costs unlimited limit that you stubbornly refused to take it?" he teases me back before adding, "Besides, this place rents free for the rest of your life, Dais. All the other bills fall on me, too." He touches my elbow to come inside the room. I jokingly give him a death glare before letting him take me inside.