Chapter 40

Danny woke up the next day with a yawn. He couldn't remember going to bed last night. In fact, the last thing he remembered was the death of Ben Kenobi.

"Hey, Danny! You awake?" he heard Dick on the other side of the door.

"Yeah, come in," he said rolling out of bed.

Dick twisted the nob and walked in. "After school today, Barbara has invited us and Artemis over to her place to play board games and watch movies. Is that okay?"

"That sounds fun." It had been a while since Dick and Danny had gotten to hang out with the two girls. They had been so busy with the Vlad missions. Hopefully, that would settle down a bit now that he was behind bars.

"Awesome!" Dick said smiling. "Well, I'll let you finish getting changed. Dick walked out and closed the door behind him. He then started walking down the stairs. "Hey, Bruce! Hey Alfie." Dick took his seat at the table."

"Good morning Master Dick. Breakfast will be ready very shortly." Alfred said smiling.

"Mornin' Dick." Bruce set down his newspaper. "Where's Danny?"

"He's still getting changed," Dick answered.

Bruce thought about his next words carefully. "There's something I need to tell you." Dick noticed he became very serious. "I need your help with something... A few days ago, I called the school to tell them that Danny wouldn't be there last Friday. When I called, they told me that Danny is failing all his classes, he falls asleep all the time, and he has been skipping school."

"Skipping?" Dick asked surprised. "That's not possible." Bruce looked at him confused. "We eat lunch together every day, plus, he and Artemis have all the same classes. She would have mentioned by now if he wasn't coming to school. Unless..."

"What are you thinking?" Bruce asked.

Dick thought about it. "I miss a lot of school too... what if... he only skips the days I'm not there?"

"That would be quite the coincidence..." Bruce reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. "This fell out of his pocket yesterday." When he opened it, Dick instantly recognized it as a blood blossom. "My theory... although I don't want to admit it... is that perhaps Danny is dealing with the villains..."

"Bruce, that's insane!" Dick said in shock. "Danny would never do that!"

"How else can you explain him missing the same days as you?" Bruce asked.

"Maybe..." Dick thought quickly, "Maybe he feels like he doesn't have to go to school when I'm not there? Maybe he skips because I'm skipping."

"Then how do you explain the blood blossom?" He questioned.

"Maybe he just found it somewhere." Dick answered. "it's not illegal to have a flower. He said his parents were scientists. Maybe he picked it up when he was back in Amity Park."

"I don't know... Just keep an eye on him." He handed Dick the box. "And hold onto this. Just in case something happens. You can use it to protect yourself." they heard the door to Danny's room close. He was walking down the stairs. "We'll talk more about this later..." Dick sat in silence during breakfast.

(A/N - Hey guys thanks for reading! :) Sorry, this chapter was so short. I hope you liked it though. Stay whelmed and go ghost!)