Chapter 18: Race

"Remember what I told you about those obstacles

"Remember what I told you about those obstacles." Gamora pointed at me with a stern look, not wanting me to get hurt.

I laughed with a nod. "Yes. I can't forget anything remember."

"Are you positive you can fly this race? You have only flown our ship, none others." Mantis watched as I fumbled with some of the inner wires with Gamora's help.

"The controls are similar to the quinjets we have at home. Gamora knows how to pilot one of these, so does everyone here. I quick look in the mind helps a lot." I smirked slyly.

"If you don't win, I hope you're not like Peter. He cried for days because he couldn't handle the embarrassment of losing." Gamora looked at me expectingly. I snorted at the thought.

"If I lose, I'll probably want to race again or just go eat to hide my pain." I closed the hatch where the wires were, making sure that it was fully closed.

I stood up, along with Gamora.

"Racers get to the starting line! Betters make sure you've placed your bet!" A man's voice spoke enthusiastically from the speakers around us.

I bit my lip nervously, but feeling excited too. This is going to be fun!

"And the most important part." Gamora grabbed my shoulders and held them tightly. Her face serious as she stared into my eyes.

I felt myself become more nervous.

"Have fun." She grinned.

I let out a breath of relief.

"I'm am certain you can win." Mantis boosted me with a smile.

"Thanks Mantis." I grinned as I hoped into the seat of the small ship.

"I am most certain she will not win." I heard Mantis whisper to Gamora. Gamora glared at the woman.

"Don't say it out loud!" She whispered-yelled back. I rolled my eyes.

Have a little faith in me at least.

I flew toward the starting line, a little wobbling, but I got the hang of the steering as I got closer.

This is so not like the Quinjet. This thing is a lot more round!

"Using one of the stadiums ships?" Kile smirked from his own ship, sitting on the chair waiting for the other racers to appear.

"I don't have my own, so I have to." I shrugged as I pressed the hover button on the control panel, letting go over the steering wheel.

"Really? Do you even know how to fly?" He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "And I still haven't gotten your name."

I stayed silent as I watched the other racers join me on my other side. Two others were using the stadium ships, while two others used their own.

I scanned their ships, taking in their visible weapons and tricks. Getting a look inside their heads to see their plans to make sure I don't get hurt or killed.