Chapter 26

"Come on Katie you're going to be late if you don't get up." Amelia was shaking Katie like crazy trying to get her to wake up. The rest of the girls were already awake, brushing their teeth, combing their hair. Angel saw Amelia struggling. "Amelia you get ready, I'll take care of Katie." Angel made her way to Katie's bed she removed her shoes, both Alicia and Amelia wanting to see what came next. Angel started jumping on Katie like crazy, causing Katie to run out of bed. 

The three girls fell into laughter, while Katie mumbled something about getting revenge. Alicia was the first to leave as she wanted to get to class early. She carried her bag which was filled with books, her hair was resting onto her shoulders no longer frizzy. Angel was the next to leave, while Amelia waited till Katie was ready. 

The two made their way to the great hall for breakfast, pancakes, waffles, bacon and eggs. All kinds of breakfast items were laid across the long wooden table of Gryffindor. Katie took a seat beside Lee, Amelia sitting across her. Amelia filled her plate with waffles adding a large amount of syrup onto it. "Excited for the first day back?" asked George, his mouth full with bacon. 

"Yes, I wonder if our timetable has changed," Katie asked, her question was soon answered when Professor McGonagall made her way around the table passing around the semesters new time table. Amelia saw that she had defence against the dark arts first up with the Slytherins, Herbology with the Hufflepuffs. A free period then Divination with the Slytherins. "Does anyone have a free period today?" Amelia asked wondering if she could spend some time with her friends. They all shook their heads instead. Maybe she could catch up on reading instead. Mum had sent her a new book, some muggle romance one which looked quite interesting.

Once the first bell rang the four began to make their way to class when she heard Professor McGonagall "Miss Whisp, can I see you for a moment?" Amelia thought she was in trouble she never got asked by McGonagall to stay behind or anything. "Not to worry you aren't in trouble." she said reading Amelia's thoughts "Miss Whisp since you have a free period today, I would like you to join Reubeus sorry Hagrid in his care of magical creatures class. You will be helping him out with the fourth years every Monday." Amelia had a soft spot for magical creatures. She always did well in that class, and it would be a fun experience for Amelia. 

"I would love too. Where exactly is his class?" She asked. Professor McGonagall filled her in on what she would have to do, and where the class was. She even gave Amelia a note excusing her for being late to her first class. 

Amelia entered Lupin's class and handed him the note as he continued to teach. She made her way next to Fred who was sitting at the back of the classroom. "What did McGonagall want?" he asked curious to know if she was in trouble. "She wanted me to help Hagrid with his class. She says he's a bit nervous with the students and I'm close with him." Hagrid and Amelia weren't as close as the golden trio, but on her first day at Hogwarts, Hagrid helped her get to classes around the castle without getting lost. The two then spent weekends having tea at his hut. 

The rest of the class was quite boring, Professor Lupin was making them take notes about "The Mirror of the Erised" he was talking about the history behind it. Once class was over she made her way to herbology spotting Katie and quickly sitting beside her. Katie was always good at herbology so if Amelia was struggling she could just cheat off of Katie. The class went by fast and before she knew it Amelia was making her way down to the forbidden forest and spotted Hagrid setting everything up. 

The tall man looked very nervous. "Hey Hagrid." she smiled at him. He was a bit startled at first but was glad to see a familiar face. "McGonagall said she would assign a student to help me. I'm glad it's you. Been up since five preparing everything." Amelia saw how he gelled his hair back slightly and his long beard looked like it had been brushed. 

"I'm glad too. And don't worry the kids are going to love you. You're going to be a great teacher." Hagrid smiled at Amelia's kind words and the two waited till the students arrived. She spotted Harry, Hermione and Ron making their way along with Draco and his two friends. This was going to be an interesting class.

Hagrid introduced himself to the class and then introduced Amelia. He talked about Buckbeak who Amelia had met before. The hippogriff looked frighting at first but he was absolutely beautiful. The bird had a body of a horse, but with wings along with the head of a falcon. Amelia wondered if it was the best idea to start off class with Buckbeak. 

"Amelia, would you come with me to get Buckbeak?" Hagrid asked snapping Amelia out of her thoughts. She nodded as she followed Hagrid deeper into the forbidden forest. They saw Buckbeak tied up to a tree sitting peacefully. The two bowed first waiting till he bowed back. The bird knew it was Amelia and quickly stood up thrilled to see her.

She held tightly onto the rope gently patting the large bird's beak. Everyone looked frightened, they were all shocked how Amelia was so calm near it. Hagrid explained how to approach a Hippogriff and Harry was brave enough to volunteer. 

Amelia knew he was scared she gave the boy a reassuring nod hoping it would calm his nerves which it did. Harry bowed down and waited for Buckbeak to respond. The bird spread its wings bringing its neck down. "Well done Harry. Now walk up to him slowly and pet his beak." Harry placed his hand on his beak stroking it gently, she could see the rest of the student's eyes wide almost waiting for Buckbeak to attack. 

Before she knew it Hagrid had placed Harry on the back of Buckbeak, soaring through the air. Amelia could hear Harry yelling with happiness in his voice. Hermione and Ron were smiling at their friend. Soon buckbeak landed, Harry got off smiling with glee. "Fun wasn't it," she asked him. "It was the best," he replied

Harry made his way back to the group,  everyone was congratulating Harry. They were high fiving him and asking him how it was.  Amelia spotted Draco looking angry and storming his way to the Hippogriff. "You're not so scary, you great ugly brute." He yelled. 

"Draco don't!" Amelia yelled catching Malfoy's attention, he looked towards her stopping but didn' realise how close he was to Buckbeak. The hippogriff had scratched Draco who was now on the floor screaming "Ahh it's killed me. It's killed me." Amelia quickly ran in front of Buckbeak calming him down while Hagrid lifted Draco up. Things had gotten out of hand way to quick. 

She watched as Draco was taken to the hospital wing followed by Crabbe and Goyle. Amelia tied up Buckbeak with the help of Harry. Ron and Hermione stood and watched. "Stupid Malfoy always had to ruin everything." Hermione kicked the dirt in anger. 

"I'm sure he'll be fine. Harry's had worse injuries than that, Madam Pomfrey will fix him up in no time." Ron spoke reassuring Hermione.

"Hagrid was so nervous today, he wanted everything to go perfectly. Let's hope Dumbledore isn't mad at him." Amelia was scared Hagrid would lose his job. The four made their way to their next class. Amelia said goodbye to the three and made her way to Divination. Madame Trelawney was talking about the work she would cover for the semester. Her large glasses magnified her eyes twice the size, making Amelia giggle. She stayed silent for the rest of the class thinking about if Hagrid would be okay. She decided to visit him after dinner and check if he was okay.