Chapter 34

Calina's pov

Taking a deep breath, I knocked on his office door. "Entra!" I heard him calling me, I hesitantly opened the door and stepped inside.

He was looking at a paper and paid me no attention. As I stood in front of him and still not uttered a word, he looked up and our eyes met.

"I told you to eat first," he said dominantly. "I-I know," I said, walking closer to his desk, "but I didn't want to wait any longer to seal this deal."

He leaned back in his chair, looking observantly at me. "How are you going to seal this deal? You claim you know who betrayed me, but do you really have evidence to back up your words? I can't trust just a few words from you," he said blankly.

"I have that," I said, putting the usb. stick on his desk. Frowning, he looked at the usb. stick, taking it in his hand. "Who gave you the usb. stick?" he asked me curiously.

"Nobody, I took it on my own," I lied, I didn't want him to punish William for breaking into his IT room, "I also took a bug and a notebook from your IT room."

"This room is secured. How did you get in there?" he asked, his eyes boring into mine, the way he looked at me gave me goosebumps, but I didn't back off.

"I told you that I also did some illegal things to make some money in the past. And breaking into some houses, stealing few things was part of my illegal business," I lied again, biting my lip.

"Is it that easy for you?" he asked me thoughtfully. "What? To steal?" I asked confused. "No," he said, shaking his head, "is it that easy for you to lie? You have been lying since your first day here. Your lies have caused you nothing but ... bad things. But you didn't learn, you're still lying."

"I didn't lie to you," I lied again, avoiding eye contact. He chuckled. "I can see you're lying. You look down and prevent eye contact with me every time you lie, scared that I'll catch your lies, which I do anyway," he claimed, before leaving out a deep sigh, "You might not lied to me about my brother, but you lied to me about other things I asked you, which made me suspect you. If you told me the truth, we wouldn't be here now."

"So, is it my fault? It's my fault that you tortured me, beat me and abused me? It's my fault that you decided to use me as your surrogate? But I don't understand, how is this all my fault?" I asked him confused. I guess it was for him easier to victim blame, than being responsible for his own actions.

"The truth wouldn't cost you anything, but the lies you told cost you everything," he told me.

Huffing, I shook my head disapprovingly. If I told him the truth, he would find out who I was, then he'd turn me in to my family, and I would lose my freedom. As I lied to him, I still had a small chance of escaping this life again, even if that small chance came with great sacrifices.

"Okay, let's say I lied to you, no ... you know what? Yes, I lied to you, but my lies were innocent, they didn't harm you or your family, but the betrayal of your wife, it almost cost your brother's life and destroyed me," I said, tired of being the scapegoat for all the mistakes of others.

"My wife?" he asked, looking at me surprised. "Yes, your wife, she's the traitor, the rat," I said, pointing to the usb. stick in his hand, "if you don't believe me, convince yourself, you are holding an audio in which she committed all her evil crimes."

He didn't say anything, but his jaw clenched as he opened his notebook and plugged the usb. stick with the computer before opening the file and listening to the audio:

Some footsteps were to be heard, before someone knocked on a door. "Babe? What's wrong? What happened?" a male voice asked.

"We are in deep shit," a female answered, it was Gabriela, sounding worried. "What's wrong?" the male asked, before some more footsteps were to be heard, followed by a desperate sigh.