Chapter 38

Calina's pov

Sacrifice.

I guess I took the meaning of this word too lightly until yesterday, not really aware of what it meant.

Parents sacrificed themselves for their children. Some people sacrificed their body for money. Students sacrificed their youth for a quality life.

Soft-hearted humans, sacrificed a piece of their soul, because they showed too much empathy and care for others.

I was the latter one, a soft-hearted one, which wasn't a kind of human being you wanted to be if you wanted to survive, especially in my world.

The care and empathy I felt for Laura brought my end and drained my soul out, I felt like I sacrificed almost my entire soul to save her as I really felt blank, like the ceiling I was staring at.

But as I said, almost my entire soul, there was still a tiny piece of fight left in me, telling me I'd get away again. And embracing this tiny piece, I decided to get up and make a plan with William to get the fuck out of here.

Sighing, I sat up in bed, wrapping the blanket around my body. I jumped into my place as I saw him sitting on the couch near the bed, looking at me.

Cocking my head, I looked at him. He had a satisfied look on his face. It seemed like I had pleased him good, after all, it was my job, wasn't it? As his wife, right? Like a wife in the nineteenth century.

No matter how time changed the rights, it was like history was repeating itself regardlessly and women were stripped off their rights anyway because of bastards like him.

"I've been waiting for you to wake up," he claimed smugly as my hands rested on my stomach.

"You didn't have to, you could spare me the sight!" I muttered, looking away from him, sparing my eyes.

He got up from the couch, walking closer. My hands tightened on my stomach as he grabbed my face and pulled my face closer, making me look at him.

"Evelina," my name rolled off his tongue, shooting me into daze.

Evelina.

Now I wondered: Was it really a sacrifice what I've done by agreeing on marrying him? Or was it just my payback from life for taking over an innocent life?

I guess, it was a little of both. The life I've taken over had a high price, and it came back like a boomerang, hitting me across the face after years, making me fall down to the ground, and suffer.

"I'm talking to you! Are you listening to me?" I heard Raphael ask, making me come back from my thoughts.

"What?" I asked him lost.

"I said being pregnant doesn't give you the privilege of disrespecting me. You will respect me, Evelina," he told me harshly.

Looking at him, I chuckled, saying, "It's a give and take world, Raphael, remember? You have to respect me, for me to respect you! But I've not seen any respect from you! Therefore, don't expect from me any respect! And don't expect from me to respect a man who tied me to a damn birth chair and inseminated me, like an animal you want to breed! Whipped me without a reason! Used my body without my consent!"

"Consent? You're my wife-"

"We don't life in the nineteenth century you little retarded piece of shit! Everything without consent is isn't right! And marriage is not an excuse!" I snapped back.

"Watch your mouth, Evelina!" he warned me. "Or what? What will you do, huh?" I challenged him.

"Shut your mouth, don't make me angry, get dressed and come downstairs for breakfast," he told me, cutting the topic off before turning around.