𝙶𝚎𝚝𝚊𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝙲𝚊𝚛

*Jughead's Narration*

It's the most basic, the most human emotion. As kids, we're afraid of everything. The dark... The boogeyman under the bed...  And we pray for morning. For the monsters to go away. Though they never do. Not really. Just ask Jason Blossom.

Another fun fact about fear. Sometimes it grows up with you. Or it curls up inside of you, tightens around your guts. Each fall, Riverdale High hosts a Variety Show. But this event is no mere student frolic.

*Anna's Pov*

"The Sisters of Quiet Mercy. What is that? Like a church? Or a charity? "

"No. It's a... Home for troubled youth. Where disenfranchised teens will learn such virtues as discipline and respect, enjoying lives of quiet reflection and servitude."

"Poor Polly," I say and sit down in my chair.

"Why would your parents put her there. Unless they are hiding something too.
***
I sat in my usual seat next to Betty and I look over at her with a smile. Jughead sits down and Betty starts to talk.

"It's been months. There's gotta be a reason my mom and dad don't want me to see Polly. But I don't care anymore."

"What are you guys talking about? Anything I can help with?" Archie asks and I look over at him.

"What we're attempting is a stealth operation, Archie. If we go in there with the entire Scooby Gang, forget it, we're compromised." Jug says and he nods.

"Well, don't you have to practice for the Variety Show anyways?" I ask and he shakes his head. 

"Uh, no, I don't." He looks over at Val and then back at me.

"Except that yes, you do. Thanks to a certain Veronica-ex-Machina."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, nothing. Just that I had a few words with our director/host, and reminded him that he's heard you sing on numerous occasions."

"Even though it compromises my artistic integrity."

"Cutting to the chase, you have a slot if you want it."

"Veronica, thank you, but you saw what happened. We all did. Playing my songs in front of you guys is one thing, but getting back up on that stage by myself... I'm not sure if I'm ready for that."

"If it's a partner you're looking for, Veronica Lodge is more than willing and able."

"Veronica, I didn't know you could sing."

"Like a nightingale. What do you say, Archiekins? Be the Jay to my Bey?" She smiles and I laugh.
***
There was a knock at my bedroom door and I quickly open it. 

"Betty, Jug what are you guys doing here."

"There was a car."

"What car Betty."

"Polly talked about a car Jason had stashed for them down Route 40 near some sign. If we can find it, we can confirm Polly's story. One way or another. I need to know."

"What happened at the facility." I grab my sweatshirt and put it on.

"Polly is pregnant with Jason's baby."

"So that's why they were leaving."

"She said that she and Jason were gonna run away because my parents and his parents didn't approve of them dating so they broke up. Then he found out she was pregnant and he was going to run away."

"So that's why Jason was selling off his things and drug dealing to get money so they could run away. But what doesn't add up was why he was killed. He either knew something about his family or the people he was selling drugs for killed him. Betty if we find the car then this can change everything. Grab some flashlight and we can go." I grab my camera from my desk along with some other things and go downstairs. I grab my keys and my dad stops us.

"Where are you three going." My dad walks over and I turn around.

"The variety show." I smile and we leave.

We walk down the muddy road and I was freezing from the rain. We pass the old Maple Syrup sign and I look up to see a tarp and some broken branches.

"Guys look." We run over and Jug pulls the tarp away and I pop open the trunk.  I push past all the things and we find Jason's jacket.

"What are those?" Betty asks and I pick them up.

"Drugs, Betty."

"Wait! Anna put it down! This is evidence. This is all evidence." Betty freaks and I pull out my camera.

"Crap. This whole car is a crime scene." Jughead takes pictures and I take pictures of the stuff as well and of the car itself.

"Okay. We need to get Sheriff Keller and then we need to get Polly." Betty says and I nod. I close up the trunk and we run back to my car so we can go to school.

"Text him to meet us in the hall," I say as we drive to school. I speed down the road and finally get to the school. I get out and run insides and I call for the Sheriff.

"Sheriff Keller," I yell again he turns around. 

 "I got your text. What is it?" 

"Look, it's Jason's jacket." Jug shows him a picture and he looks at it. 

"Where'd you get that?"

"In the trunk of a car with a bunch of his other stuff. Jason was running away with Polly."

"Where's the car?" 

"Off of route 40."

"I'll take you, Sheriff. Betty go get Polly." She nods and we leave again to go after the car. 
***

When we got there the car was already burning, all the evidence was gone and now there was nothing, not even a lead. I stand there with Sheriff Keller as I watch the only evidence go up in flames. 

*Jughead's Narration*

Here's the thing about fear. It's always there. Fear of the unknown, fear of facing it alone... Fear that those closest to you are the monsters. Fear that as soon as you slay one, there's another monster waiting to take its place. 

Fear that there's one more boogeyman waiting at the end of the dark hall. She was out there. Alone, bereft, unmoored... Where was she going? And what would she do next?