Ch. 54 - Freedom By Any Means

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"Are you always this difficult?"

- José
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 54 - Freedom By Any Means

▪️J A D E▪️

During dinner, José had gotten a call. Before excusing himself, he had requested that I joined him in the study later on.

Once I had finished eating, Roberto had roughly pulled me up and pushed me towards the door. Looking back at Cristiano, I signalled with my eyes for him to remain strong before the Fuentes twin shoved me forward once more.

Roberto blamed us for the death of his twin brother Miguel and would not doubt try to take his anger out on us at the first chance he got.

"You better watch your back, bitch. The moment the boss gets bored with you, I'm going to make you wish that you died in that diner next to your friend!" Roberto menacingly said as he gripped my upper right arm and shoved me to walk faster.

Stumbling slightly, I then quickly found my footing. The mention of Blaire's death caused a dull ache in my chest, a glaring reminder of how reckless we had been.

My anger made me bold as I suddenly stopped and turned to face him, "And you better watch how you manhandle me! Don't want to have to explain to your boss why my precious skin is bruised, now do you?"

Muttering under his breath, he made no motion to touch me again as he walked past me and lead the way. Upon approaching the large wooden door to the study, Roberto knocked three times and waited for permission before opening the door.

Stepping aside, he allowed me to enter and I saw José leaning at the end of a large mahogany desk. He was just finishing his call as he motioned with his free hand for us to come in, his eyes lighting up as soon as he saw me.

Placing the mobile phone on his desk, the Cartel boss' gaze narrowed as he looked at the bruise that was forming on my upper right arm.

"Who did that to you?" José asked as he pushed off from the desk to walk towards us.

Tilting my head briefly to look at Roberto, I smiled sweetly and said, "Ask your right-hand man, he knows."

Clearing his throat, the man fumbled with his words, "W-well you see Patrón I..."

"You what?" José almost shouted, his patience thin.

Interjecting, I spoke up, "You see, good old Robby here saved me. I was walking and tripped on the carpet and he quickly grabbed me before I could fall face first on the floor. Isn't that right, Robert?" my green eyes looked up playfully at him as I purposefully altered his name.

"Err yea..." he replied hesitantly.

Content with the response, José nodded, "No one is to lay a hand on her without clearing it with me, understood?"

"Sí Patrón!" Roberto answered promptly.

"See yourself out..." the Cartel boss dismissed the man before turning his attention back to me, "Would you care for a drink?"

Moving to sit on his desk, I made myself comfortable while resting my open palms on the smooth surface as I slowly looked around the room, taking in every single detail.

"It depends on what you have," I answered him after a few seconds.

"Are you always this difficult? What do you want?" José asked, growing slightly impatient as he walked to the small bar area in the corner.