◖ 4 ◗

𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

               Troy's UGG Ascot slippers paced the floor and nibbled on his thumbnail nervously. He paired the comfortable shoes with a Ralph Lauren quarter zip pullover and sweatpants. His beard had grown in scruffy and his hair grew, small curly afro sprouting out his head.

               A soft knock sounded on the bedroom door and got Troy's attention when he seen the director of the rehab poke her head into the bedroom. "Hey, Troy. Your father's here."

               The pace of his heart quickened once more hearing the words no matter how long he prepared seeing his father face to face. He was still nervous about hearing the sound of his rich, baritone, and stern tone and disappointing look in his eyes. Hearing it through the phone was hard enough.

               Troy nodded his head and the director of the Malibu oceanfront rehab opened the door wider and Toby swaggered in with slow strides and his arms behind his back. He had on a denim button-down shirt unbuttoned over a plain white tee, dark slim tapered jeans, and white Air Force Ones. The baseball cap was on backward and the White Diamond Cuban Link chain around his neck.

               The director left the father and son alone. It was silent for a few moments, until Troy found the courage to voice his words.

               "Hey Pop," Troy cleared his throat. "I'm happy you home."

               "Are you?" Toby lifted a brow with a slight tilt of his head. "I been out for a week now. Tried to see you my first few days out and you ain't been acceptin' em."

               "Y-yeah... I just wasn't ready."

               Toby nodded, looking around the nice size room with a Queen-size bed, contemporarily-designed shower, a big screen TV and another entrance. "This a nice li'l spot they gotchu in."

               "Yeah..." Toby scratched the side of his neck, "They call it the Sage room. It help gettin' rid of negativity. Y'know, gettin' in deep thought, reflection, and self-awareness. I meditate a lot now, too. It really help. Shantey suggested it."

               "Glad you in a betta' headspace." he stared at Troy, "the real test gon' be you steppin' outta hea' in a few weeks and into the real world where that urge is. I believe you can do it. But it don't matta' bout what I think or what I believe you can do. It's bout what you believe you can do."