◖ 18 ◗

𝐌𝐀𝐘  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

𝐌𝐀𝐘  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

Toby knocked soft and rhythmically on the opened bedroom door and Troy stopped tossing the miniature basketball in the air and looked over to the side at his father. "You gon' eat, Bub? Tyson hooked up som' food befo' he head back to the A."

Troy shook his head. "Na', I'm not hungry right now."

Toby moved further into the bedroom. "How it go wit yo' moms?"

Troy half chuckled. "Y'all not the problem and it's not y'all fault. She love y'all mo' than y'all know for leaving and not hurting us in the process..." he recited his father's words he told him and his brother's after Kim abruptly left, "Now it's confirmed. She never loved us; not when she was pregnant, not when she had us. She was just a woman that shouldn't have ever reproduced."

Toby plopped down in the desk chair. "Then I wouldn't have you and yo brothas."

"True; still tho'," Troy raised upright. "What made you even get ha' pregnant at all afta' knowin' she didn't wanna be a Mom?"

"Young, dumb, and horny." he chuckled lightly, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. "That's why you gotta watch who you fuck. Honest truth; she didn't want you and Tyson. She was 'bout to get a abortion but I talked her out of it and she kept y'all fa' me. I needed y'all. And the pregnancy wit Gabe, she really did try. She hadda closer connection wit you than anybody. You loved ha' hummin' to you."

Troy nodded, staying silent for a moment. "How did she even leave?"

"I prepared fa' ha to leave 'cause I felt it was comin'," Toby confessed. "On Gabe second birthday she just had this look in ha' eyes. Y'all was at school, Gabe was at daycare when I went to the apartment and she was on ha' way out wit ha' bags. Ian' fight ha' bout it. I simply told ha', if she leave to not com' back."

"And what she say?"

"That she wouldn't...eva'." he rested back in the chair, "I made it sound good fa' y'all because y'all was kids and when you have yo' own, you'll understand why the truth gotta be told softer than what it really is. Plus, she was still the woman that blessed me wit y'all and I wasn't gon' let y'all disrespect ha' in my face. I left ha' where she at and raised y'all the best way I could."

"You done a excellent ass job to have raised five sons, Pop." Troy complimented, "My addiction wasn't a product of how you raised us. I fucked up myself. But I'm gon' be the man you raised us to be."