◖ 9 ◗

𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋 ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

Carrying the cake server, her black patent Aleena 100 Mule Stuart Weitzman shut the door behind her and strutting along the hardwood floor, wearing the sage green midi dress with ultra thin straps and ribbed fabric that hugged her slender body. Her hair was wavy and hanging passed her shoulders and done her makeup nude and soft. She followed the voices coming from the kitchen.

Two women were in the sun-filled kitchen—one being her ex-boyfriend's mother, Ruth, who stood at the island and tending to the pan of food and had on a steel blue halter romper with her thick hair in a bun.

               Ruth's head was shaking when she set her eyes on Anicia. "Hey, I'm glad you could make it, sweetheart."

"Aight, ion' kno' what dis is called but I kno' you'll drink it, Aunt P."

Sound of his rich, baritone voice captured her attention as their eyes locked. Anicia smiled warmly, averting her hazel eyes to Ruth. "Glad you invited me. I made Pound Cake. I didn't want to come over empty-handed."

"Mmhm, that's how you come to somebody house." Ruth said, hitting her son on the chest before accepting the server from Anicia.

"Ain't this your ex-girlfriend?" Pearl asked, pouring a glass of the red wine. "That rich one."

"Yes, and you've met me several times, Pearl." Anicia spoke.

"Mm-hmm." Pearl raised the wine glass to her lips, sipping the liquid.

Toby's tongue licked his lips, as he walked around to Anicia. "What up wit it, baby?" he hugged her close and tight, "Momma invited you?"

"Surely did." Ruth spoke, closing the oven. "We lost touch and when I seen her at the wedding, I got her number and had to invite her to this Sunday dinner. And you always invited, love."

Anicia smiled, pulling from the embrace. "And I love your food so of course I will show."

Toby faced Anicia. "You lookin' beautiful. You foreva' got them pretty-ass feet in heels tho'. Do you wear sneakers at all?"

Anicia chuckled softly. "Yes, I do. But when you come from a mother who despises sneakers and passed that down to her daughters, it's kinda hard to revert back."