◖ 43 ◗

𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

               THE DOORBELL RANG CONSTANTLY as Anicia stumbled out of her bedroom tiredly wearing the Adidas sports bra and cotton lounge shorts. She flicked on the light to brighten the hallway as the person on the other side of the door start pounding on the door. Quickening her strides, she unlocked the door, yanking it open with her face screwed. "What the—Arlene?"

               "Hey," Arlene smiled wide. "I'm here for your appointment."

               "My appointment isn't until ten; it's six in the morning." Anicia sighed, leaning on the door as she spotted the toy storage trunk. "What is that?"

               "I'm a hoarder for the girls this; I have infant onesies, booties, baby toys, you name it. I have it all." Arlene informed, as she pulled the storage trunk inside with Anicia moving out of her way with a confused expression.

               Anicia shut the door. "You couldn't bring this at another time?"

               "No," Arlene responded promptly. "You have wine?"

               Before Anicia was able to respond, her sister was already walking towards the kitchen. Anicia made it to chef's kitchen with stainless steel Viking Chef applications and custom cabinetry and countertops, as Arlene pulled out a bottle of wine and searching through the cabinet for the wine glasses.

               "Are you okay?" Anicia wondered.

               Arlene popped open the bottle. "Y-yeah, sure. Why?"

               "Well. ." She watched her pour the glass full of red wine, "You're in a cardigan and your pajamas at six in the morning in my house with a storage trunk of my niece's old stuff. Something is wrong with you."

               "I'm fine," Arlene raised the glass and drank it empty before pouring another glass full. "I'm not fine. My husband is cheating on me. Cheers!" She giggled, drinking more of the wine.

               Anicia was taken aback, her eyebrows raising. "Wait, what?"

               Arlene glass down on the countertop and sighed. "Dwight, the lovely Human Rights attorney husband of mine is cheating with some new intern at his law firm."

               Anicia leaned back on the counter. "How do you know for sure?"

               "Because I seen them, Neicy." Arlene sighed heavily as she faced her sister. "I popped up and my whore of a husband was fucking the slut."