Chapter 35....

Semi-Edited

Song Above is...With You by Tyler Shaw (totally fits Alex and Riley)

Happy Reading!!! 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

"So I was sitting on the swings when Max came up to me and gave me this!" Harper held up a slightly squished dandelion. The grin on her face so wide I could see all of her teeth, including the front missing one.

"It's beautiful." I smiled back.

"And then we played tag the entire recess." She dragged out the word 'entire' and bounce on her toes. I grinned at the 6 year old in front of me. Loving how just a simple dandelion and tag at recess with a boy made her so extremely happy.

"Is Max in your class?" I asked leaning against the counter.

"Yeah he sits on the other side of the room but Ms. Kim lets us be in groups."

"I better keep an eye on this boy." Alex suddenly spoke, coming into the kitchen. Harper giggled.

"Sounds like someone has a crush." I teased. My words got the response I wanted.

"Nope you aren't allowed to have a crush." Alex pointed his finger at his little sister.

"Yes!" My smile widened at Harper's giggle.

"No boyfriends until you are 80 missy."

I stood there watching as Alex and Harper argued about her having a boyfriend. It was entertaining to watch Harper tell her big brother no. I thought my heart may burst from my chest when Alex grabbed his sister and twirled her in the air causing her to giggle loudly.

Alex with his sister was a sight that could make any girls ovaries explode. He was so sweet with her and you can tell she was his world. And Harper stared at him like he hung the moon.

The sight of them together made my heart melt yet hurt at the same time. They've lost both of their parents and poor Harper was so young. Just knowing how much pain they have gone through makes my heart hurt. Neither of them deserved this. It just made my relationship issues with my parents seem stupid.

"Freckles?" Alex's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"Hm?" Him and Harper had settled down and she was now seated at the bar looking at me, same as her brother.

"You okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine." I waved him off. "What were you guys saying?" Alex stared at me for a moment as if he didn't believe me but he thankfully let it go.

"We were wondering what you want for dinner."

"Pancakes!" Harper yelled.

"I don't think Riley is going to want pancakes for dinner Harp." Alex started to say but I stopped him by raising an eyebrow.

"Excuse me? Pancakes for dinner is the only way to eat pancakes."

"Oh is it?"

"Yep and you know what makes them even better?" I turned my attention to Harper, leaning over the counter. She eagerly awaited my answer. "Strawberries and whip cream." I tapped her nose with a grin.

"Pwease can we have pancakes Allie." Harper whined, instantly turning on the puppy dog eyes. Like how can you say no to that?

"Yeah Allie, please." I mimicked Harper. Alex looked between the two of us before sighing and shaking my head.

"The two of you are going to be the death of me." He muttered. "Yes we can have pancakes." Both Harper and I cheered.

"Then lets get to work." I clapped my hands. "Show me where the stuff is."