Forty Four

Feranmi flipped through her books as everyone in the class made noise. Ini was rambling about some things that she wasn't paying attention to.

Two male and two female figures suddenly walked into the class and the class when quiet as everyone rushed to their feets.

"See them making noise like people without future" one of the girls said and everyone bowed their heads.

"You guys were making noise and the whole class was revebrating. I must really you guys accolades" one of the guys said and the one who had entered first waves for them to seat down.

"We have few annoucements to make so we've being going around the classes. Firstly, I lost my wallet" the guy said and everyone looked at each other in shock.

"Who's the class captain?" One of the girls asked.

"Snr Ajoke, he's not in class" someone replied.

"Assistant?" Ajoke asked and Ini rose to her feet.

"I am" Ini replied and Ajoke chuckled.

"You? Assistant Class Captain? Is this some kind of joke?" Ajoke asked and Ini clenched her fists.

"Ajoke, stop that" the guy who had first spoken said and Ajoke scoffed.

"Daniel, Sewa, are you saying you don't recognize this girl?" Ajoke asked and clapped her hands.

"Wonder shall never end" Ajoke said as Feranmi shot to her feet.

"Snr Ajoke, allow me to ask what you came here to do? Did you follow Snr James to look for his wallet or you followed him around just to bad mouth people. So what if you recognize her? What does that have to do with what's happening here? Yes, she's the Assistant Class Captain, we all elected her. If possible she would have been the Class Captain if she didn't step back" Feranmi said and the four seniors looked at her in shock and surprise.

"Its no as if you are any better than her" Feranmi added as she sat down. There was silence in the class before Ajoke glared at Feranmi.

"Did you just talk to me? Did you just say I am not any better than this slut?" Ajoke barked out and Feranmi banged her table angrily.

"Snr Ajoke, who doesn't know that you a prostitute  outside school? We all know your parents can't afford your school fees and you have to accompany people old enough to be your dad to get your school fees and all but has anyone ever criticized you because of that? No. So how dare you criticize someone who you do not know anything about?" Feranmi asked and James rubbed his forehead.

"Ajoke, that's enough. You can go back to class. Sewa accompany her, I can take care of this on my own" James said and Ajoke gritted her teeth before storming out.

"She's not a kid. She can find her class herself" Sewa said and James turned to her. Sewa bit on her lower lip before nodding.

"I'll go now" Sewa said and Daniel chuckled as she walked out of the class.

"I lost my wallet. Its a black wallet. It contains, my ID card, roughly about ten thousand naira, some business cards and more importantly its contains a folded envelope and a flash drive. If you find it please send for me immediately" James said as he turned to Ini.

"Hey, follow me" James said as he walked out of the class with Ini behind him.

"Daniel, help me make the annoucements in other classes" James said and Daniel nodded as he walked away.

James turned to Ini and pursed his lips "I'm sorry" James said and Ini looked at him shock and surprise.

She chuckled before replying "Sorry for what? You did nothing" Ini said.

"For Ajoke. She said too much" James replied and Ini dropped her head.

"Its not like she's wrong. I am a slut, I'm dirty" Ini said and James chuckled as he slipped his hands into his pockets.

"What's so bad about being a slut then?" James asked and Ini snapped her head to him.

"Ehn?" Ini asked in surprise.

"What if you are you a slut? So? It doesn't make you shorter or taller" James replied and Ini blinked her eyes at her in surprise.

"Feranmi is your friend?" James asked and Ini nodded.

"My best friend, my only real friend" Ini replied wondering why she was honestly answering James.

"I see" James said nodding.

"I'm so jealous you have such a friend who doesn't who and when and whatever has happened but always has your back" James said and Ini smiled.

"I'll be yours too. I'll always have your back" Ini said and immediately clamped her hands over her mouth.

What the heck did she just say?

James laughed at Ini's reaction and Ini couldn't help but stare at him seeing his smile.

"Really? You'll have my back?" James asked and Ini found herself nodding while James smiled.

"Don't forget your words. You said you'll always have my back huh?" James asked and Ini nodded with a tight lipped smile. James chuckled at Ini's reply.

"Those should be my words to you. You only have one real friend and plus me, that's makes us two. From now on, you have two good friends. People who will always have your back no matter what" James said and Ini looked at him stunned.

"Really?" Ini asked in a quivering voice and James nodded.

"Yes" James replied with a smile.

"Come to think of it, I don't even know your name" James said and Ini smiled.

"Inioluwa" Ini replied and James nodded.

"I'll note it. Inioluwa. So you got a new friend today. If you ever need help, come find me. Don't be shy to come and look for me huh?" James said and Ini nodded not knowing why she felt like crying.

"Yes. I'll definitely look for you if I have any problems" Ini replied and James nodded.

"Okay. I'll see you around" James said before walking away. Ini stared at his figure till he disappeared at the end of the hallway. She turned and saw Feranmi leaning on the wall and jumped in fright.

"Don't you think your name should enter the Guineas Book of Record? You just made James Ajewole your friend" Feranmi said with a smile.