8.

Thomas' apartment is similar to mine. Only his apartment is clean as fuck. Everything is in place, garbage is nowhere to be found. For some reason, it surprises me. But I don't exactly know why. 

We sit down on his couch. I look around. It's my first time being in here. 

Thomas and I are different, yet we are both very secretive. But it's just who I am. I've never liked talking about myself and I absolutely hate talking about personal things. Except for the fact that my parents were important for creating Vicious, they know nothing else about my past. And I'm not planning on telling them anything. 

''Do you want coffee?'' Thomas asks me. 

''Please,'' I nod. ''Nothing in it. Just black coffee.'' 

Thomas goes to the kitchen to prepare the coffee. I can hear him picking up cups and filling them up with the black liquid. Noises like this make me think I live a normal life. But the moment you look around, you remember that you live in an underground society. 

''Here,'' Thomas puts a cup of coffee on the table a few minutes later. 

''Thanks,'' I mumble. He sits down next to me. 

''So... A new job,'' He says. 

''Yeah,'' I say. ''I came up with it this morning after talking to Rose.'' 

Thomas frowns and leans forward, clearly waiting for an explanation. 

''I asked her if she knew who I was,'' I explain. ''The answer was yes. She told me her parents used to gather information about me, for some reason. Apparently Oblivion wanted me. After we went underground, her parents told her everything and even showed her all of the information. If I believe Rose, Oblivion's still interested in me. I don't know why, though. It's quite strange when you think about it.''

Thomas stays silent during the whole explanation. 

''Oblivion still wants to become the number one gang in the country,'' I continue. ''They are not afraid to kill us. So, I came up with a plan.'' 

I finish my cup of coffee and turn to Thomas. 

''We pretend I get kicked out of Vicious,'' I say. ''I want 'revenge', so I go to Oblivion. I join them for a little while and then go back to Vicious. During the time I'm part of their gang, I gather more information about them. Maybe we can even sabotage some of their plans.'' 

Thomas slowly nods. He finishes his cup of coffee and brings the cups back to the kitchen. When he returns he still hasn't said a word. Instead, he just frowns. 

''It sounds like a good plan,'' he admits. ''But how do you want to get out after?'' 

I shrug. 

''We'll figure that out when the time's there,'' I answer his question. ''The only reason I'm here is because Hayden forced me to talk to you about this.'' Thomas chuckles. 

''I think we should do it,'' he says. ''Let's tell Hayden.'' 

..................................................................................................................................................

The two of us arrive at Hayden's office. Thank God, Thomas is fully dressed now. I mean, yeah, he is attractive. The girls who work in the few shops down here always tell me how jealous they are of me. But I just don't see it. And the fact that he is so fucking annoying doesn't really help either. 

Before Hayden can say something about our sudden appearance, Thomas interrupts him. 

''I'll do it,'' Thomas says. ''I'll help with the new job, even though I have no idea what my part in it will be.'' 

Hayden smirks and crosses his arms. 

''Perfect,'' Hayden mumbles. ''I bet you are relieved? You probably like it.'' He turns to me. 

''Not at all,'' I scoff. ''I would've done it anyway.'' 

Hayden chuckles and Thomas frowns once again. 

''Is this something between the two of you?'' He asks me, confused. I shake my head. 

 ''Hayden just still believes we have something going on,'' I explain. ''And I hate it.'' 

Thomas rolls his eyes. Both of us have told Hayden that there's nothing going on between us. I know that Thomas hates it too. Stupid assumptions. 

''Anyway,'' Hayden continues. He places his feet on his desk, crossing them. ''Thomas, you will join Taylor on her adventure to get into Oblivion. You will help each other out in different situations. I can guarantee you, it won't be easy.'' 

My jaw drops. I don't want Thomas to come with me. I don't want him involved in this mission at all, but him coming with me is the worst thing that could happen. 

''Taylor, I don't want you to complain about my decision,'' Hayden says. ''If I were you, I'd prepare myself.'' 

Prepare myself for what? We will probably have more than enough time to prepare. Like, a week or something. I'm sure I'm able to pack my bags and figure out some shit in that time. 

''We will send you tonight.''