13.

May, 2023

Thomas and I have been part of Oblivion for two months now. Trying to get information in the first few weeks wouldn't be too smart, so we started gathering pictures, notes and bits of information a month ago. We don't have a lot, since everyone is still being a bit secretive. I did overhear a few people talking about an intruder at Vicious, but Thomas wouldn't believe me. I threw away the bracelet I got from Hayden. Whenever he needs to know something, I'll just text him. 

''Taylor, can I talk to you for a sec?'' Brandon asks, when I walk past him. He points at his office. I follow him and take a seat. 

''It's not that important, though,'' Brandon warns me. He sits down in his own chair. ''Tonight, there is going to be a party. Maybe you can even call it a ball.'' 

''And what does that have to do with me?'' I cross my arms and lean back in the chair. Never in my life will I trust him. 

''I want you and Thomas to come too, also to fit in a little more,'' Brandon continues. ''The people that'll be there received an invitation a week ago. I know you don't know a lot of people, that's why I'm asking you to bring Thomas.'' 

''Why is there a party?'' I ask. ''It doesn't seem the time to throw one.'' 

''Because... Three years ago, we bombed your camps,'' Brandon explains. ''And I know that might not be a good thing for you, but it definitely was for us.'' 

''You want me to celebrate the day you took the person I loved?'' I ask him. ''The day you ruined my life?'' 

Unbelievable

''I know, that's why I wanted to ask you first,'' he says. He looks at his hands and sighs. ''Talk about it to Thomas and decide then.''

I run my hand through my hair and nod. 

''I hope you'll show up tonight.'' 

................................................................................................................................................................

I call Thomas when I arrive in my own room. I got my own when a gang member accidentally killed himself. I lock the door and throw myself on my bed. 

''Hi,'' I say and I sigh. Honestly, I don't know where to begin. 

''Are you okay?'' Thomas asks. For some reason, he sounds worried. 

''No- I mean yes,'' I quickly answer. ''I'm fine. I called you because I just talked to Brandon. There's a party thing tonight and he wants us to come.'' I can feel tears stinging behind my eyes. 

God no, don't cry. Please. 

For the past years, I barely cried. I just kept it in, trying to fool myself in thinking that I was doing perfectly fine. 

''That'll be a great source for information,'' Thomas says. ''We should go.''

''Yeah, but the reason they throw that party isn't that great,'' I say. I stand up and look through the window. ''They are celebrating that they bombed our camps three years ago.'' 

''Oh.''

It stays silent for a minute. We both don't know what to say. All we know is that we don't want to get reminded of that memory. We almost lost our lives that day and don't want to think about that too much. 

''But, like you said,'' I continue. ''It'll be great for information. So, we should just go, see what we can get and just... Act normal.'' I shrug, knowing that Thomas isn't able to see me. But it's more to convince myself that I can get through this.