xli. loser like me

Series Six. Episode One. Loser Like Me

AFTER THE GANG ALL WENT THEIR SEPARATE WAYS. It had been a bit of a rough ride for all of them individually upon the coming months that saw their departure from New York. To say that they each soared in their personal endeavours would be an over statement if there ever was one.

Rachel moved to LA after quitting her dream role on Broadway as the iconic Fanny Brice, which if you were to ask Ruby about it she was still baffled by this decision, to go film her tv show 'That's So Rachel'. Said tv show turned out to be one of the biggest tv flops this side of the twenty first century. It truly was awful and now she was currently in hiding and was unreachable to any of her friends.

Kurt and Blaine had a massive fight and decided it was time to end their relationship. This then lead to Blaine leaving New York after being dropped by NYADA leaving Ruby feeling even lonelier and as selfish as that made her sound. She didn't like that the remainder of her friends were leaving her East side all by herself. It was only a matter of time before Kurt left as well.

Ruby had found a lot of solace in her friend Artie Abrams, the young lad had continued to stay in New York whilst he was studying at the Brooklyn Film Academy. Meeting up every Wednesday night for what they like to call 'date night' even though they weren't romantically involved, the little tradition brought them closer than they had ever been. Which was a nice comfort to know she did have somebody there for her, seeing as Santana had left to go on tour with Mercedes and Brittany.

Six months had gone by in a flash since the group of friends stood outside Rachel and Kurt's apartment building and promised to meet up with one another. The day finally came as Ruby eagerly made her way into New York to be greeted by just Artie and Kurt. Artie looking just as disappointed as you did and the latter said a quick hello before dashing off to work.

A lot had gone on in the past six months since they all last saw one another. Despite having Artie and Kurt still in New York, Ruby had felt the effects of this year more than ever and she was struggling to cope with how to deal with everything. 

Ruby had tried going on dates but it wasn't the same and on days when she felt particularly lonely in New Jersey she wanted nothing more than to go home and crawl into bed and snuggle up with her dorky best friend, whilst he told her some mundane story about something that happened at school or listen to what trouble Puck had gotten into. And though she didn't care about whatever it is he was chatting about it didn't matter because they were together and that's all that mattered but then she would remember.

In ways she was happy school gave her something to focus on and keep her busy but she needed normality, a routine that wasn't so draining. Sometimes Ruby rang his phone and let it reach voicemail just so she could hear his voice. She told Artie this during their last date night and Artie realised his closest confidant wasn't dealing with the cards they had been dealt this year quite as well as she made out.

Which is why Artie had talked her in to going to see her college councillor and under the circumstances, Princeton were allowing her to take a sabbatical and to return the following fall to complete her law degree. As sad as Artie was that she too was leaving him he understood and it was why she was currently packing up her life on the East Coast to head back to Lima, Ohio to try and rejuvenate her soul.

***

  BEING BACK IN OHIO WAS A BIT OF A CULTURE SHOCK, for the first couple of weeks back at home.  She had forgotten that the pace of life was a lot slower of that she was living whilst at Princeton and in New York. Still dedicated to keep their little tradition going Ruby face-timed Artie every Wednesday evening and they ate over the phone together. That was one part of her college life she didn't want to give up especially when he was really was all she had out there.