119. infestation

The dream about my brother from earlier still weighed heavy on my mind as the group of us sat in a dimly lit room, listening as a girl recited some sort of poem.

Luna had told us to wait in here, to relax, until the boats returned that would be able to take us back to land. We weren't really willing to go without convincing Luna to take the flame, but I seemed that we didn't have much of a choice.

The sound of a door opening near the front of the room caused all of us to perk up slightly. "She's back." Bellamy announced, reaching out to tap Clarke on the leg. "Let's go talk to her."

I watched as the two of them stood, not saying a word to the rest of us before making their way toward Luna. I felt anger begin to bubble in my chest at the sight of the two of them together.

"Do they seem closer than usual, or is it just me?" I muttered, turning back to Jasper and Octavia.

Octavia looked over at me with a quizzical look, "Bellamy and Clarke?"

I nodded, glancing back over my shoulder to where the two stood. "It's like they're a two-man team and we're just here as backup or something."

"You're overreacting." Octavia promised, "That's how it's always been."

I shrugged, "Maybe that's my point then."

"Hey," Jasper said, prying his eyes away from the girl on the makeshift stage. "Didn't you two break up anyway? Who cares about him and Clarke."

I felt my jaw drop slightly as Octavia awkwardly looked away, trying to remove herself from the conversation. "I-That's not the point, Jasper." I snapped, feeling my face reddening. "I was just making an observation."

"Right." he muttered, refocusing on the girl who he seemed rather enthralled with.

With my attention focused on glaring at Jasper, I had barely noticed the arrival of another person.

"We need to talk." Luna's voice caused me to jump slightly, not expecting her to have approached us.

When I turned, I realized her attention was focused on Octavia, who gave a small nod of her head.

Jasper turned to me, grabbing a hold of my arm, "That's our cue then."

Scowling, I pulled my arm away from him as we left Octavia and Luna alone. "Everyone is just full of private conversations today aren't they?"

Jasper glanced over at me as he flopped down into an empty chair. "What the hell has gotten into you?" he demanded. "You're being a real-"

"Don't say it." I warned, lowering myself into a seat beside him. When I could still feel him watching me, waiting for an answer, I shrugged. "I don't know." I sighed. "I just-what's there to even be happy about anymore."

He was watching me carefully. "You mean cause you don't have Bellamy anymore?"

My eyes fell to the floor as I shook my head. "No. I mean because everything has gone to shit, Jasper."

"Weren't you the one who told me it gets better?" He questioned, referring back to a conversation we had when he had lost Maya.

"Yeah, well." I muttered, pulling at my fingers. "Maybe I'm a liar."

"Avery?"

A new voice cut into the conversation, causing me to wince ever so slightly. What could he want?

I turned, my eyes meeting Bellamy's who were soft, like he was afraid I was going to break if he said the wrong thing. "Can I talk to you?

My eyes shifted to Clarke who was standing behind, her eyes darting around the room as if on edge.