The Table's Turn

The clouds set on the town as a young woman walked around the town, a bag in her hands and a smile on her face as she passed the towns towns people. Greetings passed along as she passed her known friends and visitors of an old inn just down the road from the town square. Walking along a man hit the ground, a cloth covering him from head to toe and he fell out of a doorway as someone followed spitting angered words at him.

"And I dont want to see you back here." The owner of the pub pointed a stern finger to the man. The young woman walked over, kneeling beside the fallen man. She stared into the man's hair covered eyes as he looked up at her propped on his elbows.

She looked up to the owner, "Now, John. What has this man done to deserve the road at his feet?" She asked, softened eyes.

"That 'man' has been selling in my pub and I want him out."

"Surely there is a better way to sit him out. Here, let me help you." She insisted guiding him to his feet, she gave him a kind smile. "Now, take these tokens and head down to the market and get yourself something to eat."

He nodded, "Thank you Miss." He scurried off to her extreme kindness and down to the market like she had asked of him. She stepped into the pub, pulling her hood down.

"I don't know how you manage to be so kind to people like that Mary."

She sat down smiling to him, "Because I've learned that I can't always look through my own eyes, I have to realise that somebody's might have something going on that they keep behind closed doors."

He stared down at her, amazement hidden in his mind. "You are a kind woman, Mary, but you can't always calm the ocean with kindness."

"Well, then. I guess I'll just have to ride the waves like any sailor would."

John smiled, "The usual?"

"Yes. Thank you." John walked off as Mary looked across the pub and smiled to the people as they smiled back. After finishing her food, she walked down the roads with her bag in hand and a group of children passed her by playing with an old ball. It stopped at her dress, she looked down at it as the kids stared at her with pleading eyes for the ball back. She smiled."Is this your ball?"

"Yes ma'am." Said a child, very small. Overalls hanging by threads, patched on his knees, and shirt tattered under.

She smiled, "Can I play?" The little boy's face scrunched up in a smile as she put down the ball and hiked up her dress, scooting around the children as they laughed and smiled chasing her to get the ball and kick it around to each other until she got the ball again and called it good game. Walking down the road again, she strolled her normal doings. Giving bread to the man who sat on the stone stairs every morning and having a talk with the elderly woman who sat on her porch every morning and evening to watch the sun rise and set every day.

Stepping down the stone paving roads passed the rich houses as their children ran on the yards and waved to Mary that would always pass their house at the same time. Giving a smile to the man in the white house he smiled back and like the usual business, she handed him a well knitted shirt and hat for their newborn seedlings and he would hand her, in trade, four tokens for gratitude and kindness. Walking along she would skip rocks until she hit the dirt roads again and down the hills where a little wooden house sat just below a hill of flowers that would bloom in the spring and she would pick them for a beautiful bouquet.

Walking inside, a young girl looked over to her mom and smiled rising to her feet. "Momma, you're home." She cheered greeting her mother with a hug.

"Yes, I am." She reached into her bag, "I got this from the market for you."Holding out a small pendant to her daughter, she took it in her hand and opened it.