And The Story Begins

Samantha held the seed in her hand, "Will it be like me Momma?"

"We are all different, Samantha. Not one is the same as you." Mary said as she walked along with a bucket and a shovel and Samantha followed holding the seed unwilling to let it go from her hands.

"So, it'll be a baby like me? Like the stories you told me?"

"Yes Samantha." Mary stopped in front of a tree. "This is the tree where you were born a seedling." She smiled down to her daughter. "And this is where your new sibling will grow."

Samantha smiled, "I want to put the water on it." She muttered as Mary began shoveling a tiny hole by the tree.

"Patience Samantha." She said glancing down to the crack in the seed that she held, any type of crack or mark is defective on the seedling. Mostly a bad defect. She smiled back up to Samantha and made a hole deep and big enough for the tiny seed to grow and move around in.

"Alright, put the seed in the hole." She looked down at the seed, almost wanting to not put it in the hole and keep it forever as a treasure. Kneeling beside her mother, she lightly placed the seed in the hole and they both began packing soil back onto it. Samantha, with the help of her mother to not drown the seedling, poured the water over the dirt where the seed was under and she stared at the water disappearing into the earth.

Mary stood up, "Now, we wait until a little sprout comes up. Until then, we keep checking on it and giving it water."

Samantha looked up at her mother from the ground, "Momma, what if it doesn't hatch?"

Mary stared down at her child, she knew the cracks and marks would do something to the seedling but she couldn't let her child worry about it. "The seed will grow. Im sure of it. We'll come back at sunset and give it some water before supper." She held out her hand, "Come on now, let's head into town."

 Mary held Samantha's hand and walked along. Swinging their arms happily and smiling to the people, Mary stopped by the market as they walked. Walking down the row of tents and stands of things being sold, Mary kept hands on Samantha. The market was a dangerous place at times. Passing fruits of orchards, and clothes, and sewing items Mary looked at some sewing thread and needle. Buying what needed to be used around the house, Mary started home. Samantha skipped as she swayed her mother's arm, moving along she waved to the man who would give her four tokens for something she would make.

He noticed Samantha and knelt down, "Well, isn't it Samantha? You're getting big. Beautiful just like your mother." He smiled. "Let me get something for you." Walking inside he walked back out with a hand crafted book and held it out, kneeling back down, to Samantha. "Here."Samantha looked up to her mother, in assurance, she took it in her hands. "Its yours." Her face lit up like a northern star.

"Really?"

Mary pursed her lips.

"Yeah." He stood up, looking to Mary.

"Thank you, but I have nothing to give you."

"You don't need to." He waved off, "You have done me so much for the people, its yours." He smiled, "Just let me know if you need anything."

Mary nodded with a smile, "I will." She took Samantha's hand again and began down the road. Getting home, Samantha was impatient to wanting to see the seed so badly that she literally pulled her mother out to the big oak tree and nearly spilled every drop of water from the bucket. Getting there, she stopped and looked down at the ground. Kneeling down she set the bucket on the floor and Mary could feel the confusion in Sam's mind.

"Where is it?"

Mary knelt down, "Its still growing. It needs to grow first."

"But I don't see it."

"Thats because it's growing under the ground. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there." She held her daughter's hand, "Watch, give me your hand." She placed it over the spot where the seed was placed, "Can't you feel it?"

"Feel what?"

Mary smiled, "The heat."

Samantha put her hand closer to the ground, almost touching it and she smiled. "There's heat!" She exclaimed happily.

"That's where the seed is growing, under the soil."

Samantha smiled, "Let's pour the water."

"You want to do it?"

"I want us to to it." She smiled and her mother took hold of the bucket as well. Pouring enough water, Samantha reached down again. "I can still feel the heat."

Mary smiled, "And one day, when the seed starts to show, you'll feel like you're touching the sun." She whispered to Samantha.

She laughed, "When will it show up here?"

Mary shrugged, "I don't know. But let's go home before it gets darker." She held out her hand, "Come on." Taking her hand and going home, only Mary was the one who was worried. Worried for her daughter's hopes, and also ­­worry that what ever seedling would sprout from the seed .. would have a defect.