Keep Him Safe

Dean slowly came to consciousness in the morning when he knew he had to wake up mentally, like his brain's clock went off and he was up to turn off the alarm clock. Opening his eyes he nearly jumped out of his own skin. Castiel face laid inches from Dean's and Castiel's wings were clasped heavily over Dean in a comfort of warmth, Castiel's black and heavy wings were draped over Dean like a blanket would that covered both of them.

Dean looked back to Castiel's sleeping face. An angel who had originally been sleeping in the room across from him had walked over to his room and slept in the same bed, dropping his heavy wings on top of him. Who was know sleeping peacefully when his wings covered them both in a blanket of heat, the feathers touching Dean's arm and gently rubbing it as Castiel breathed in and out slowly. It was a sight to see.

Slowly and ever so gently, Dean turned on his side and sat up still leaning on his arms. Castiel's wing resting on his shoulder as he rose up, Dean turned his head to the softly touched wings and ever so lightly ran the back of his hand on the inside of Castiel's wing. The down feathers were a fluffed mush but the strong primary feathers were shielding away he cold and blanket, running his hand along the coverts and the indents on the top of Castiel's wings he looked down at

Castiel.

So ever slowly Castiel turned his head into the pillow and his wings pressed down heavier on Dean's back, Dean pulled his arm up and held Castiel's wing up keeping himself up as Castiel soon stopped moving and found himself closer to Dean by dropping his hand on Dean's and now laying on the pillow Dean had been sleeping on this entire time. Dean looked up to Castiel's wings and then to Castiel still sleeping, he had to get Castiel breakfast ­­ but the girls already knew.

Maybe he could just go when he normally had breakfast the hour after sunrise when Ellen made the food, it wouldn't be any use making food and hiding Castiel again if they knew that he was in the house. Dean reached down to wake up Castiel but he pulled his hand back, he would just bring Castiel to breakfast when he did.

In the end it wasn't an unusual thing. Dean would go to bed only to wake up with Castiel in the bed beside him, covering him with his wings in some ways. Sometimes Castiel would sleep on his stomach and only cover Dean, or he'd lay on his side and curl up covering himself and Dean. Ellen and Jo had gotten used to Castiel trailing behind Dean in fear, or the fact that they were hiding an angel in their home. They would make extra knowing he would come down every morning with Dean, they would push aside if Dean and Castiel were walking down the hall for Castiel's wings and space. Knowing that Castiel would never leave Dean's side, they would always give Dean the things first and Dean would give them to Castiel. They allowed Castiel space and didn't bother him or Dean, but they would protect him with Dean's word on it. Even if they did all die, they would die protecting Castiel.

Castiel learned more in those days. He would watch the girl's sew sometimes, watch them knit things for their break to sell to the town for their own money and a share to Dean. He learned many more things. How to make bread, how to play the piano, more piano pieces, sewing, knitting, reading more books, learning more about the stars, how to plant certain things in the garden like basil or mint. '

One day Dean had brought Castiel out to the apple orchard, bringing him along he pointed to the apples. "You want to know how to pick the ripest and sweetest apples." Dean said reaching up and plucking and apple from the line of trees. "You see?" Dean pulled his knife, the one that had cut Castiel from the ropes in the barn, and cut a slice from the apple taking a bite of it. "You want to make sure it has a bright color, that it's big and strong but the important part is when you bite into it." He cut another slice and held it out to Castiel. "Here, try it." He insisted.

Castiel didn't raise his hands, he didn't reach out and grab it. Instead he leaned over and took a bit from Dean's fingers, pulling back he looked up to the tree. Dean just stared at Castiel, how many things could be so interesting about an angel. How reluctant or interested they could be into things at any moment, cutting up the apple again he took a bite himself and handed Castiel another piece. This time he took it in two hands and ate slowly from it, looking at Dean his lips twitched into a smile. Dean, breathless to an angel's reaction, smiled back. "Come on," he gestured to the grape orchard further back, "There's more down there."

They had walked through the thin lined grape orchards and back through the apple orchards, racing down the aisles Dean ran down the aisle with Castiel following. Laughing and smiling as he rounded a tree, Castiel followed behind him and around the tree. Ellen and Jo looked out of the windows to the two running through the back yard, though they had gotten used to the sight of the two together they had never gotten used to the fact that an angel and a human could bond over completely everything ­­ even if they had two different minds.

Dean laughed when they tumbled to the floor on their backs, Castiel's wings laid below him spread out massively as Castiel's arms laid on them. He stared at the morning sky. Clouds light above him as Dean looked up too, the sky was beginning to fade from it's dark color and into the light blue like it had always done every day. The stars still in sight as they played hide and seek with the sun for the day and would come out to play with the moon instead, how birds flew over head without a care and Castiel would stared at them passing while Dean would watch Castiel as he did.

Dean turned his head back to the sky, a thought hit him. Castiel had such huge wings he would carry around, how he would shake them sometimes if he got cold or how he stretched them every morning even though he wasn't going anywhere. When he would clean his wings by poking stuff out of it like dirt and stray dust, ­­ could Castiel use them to fly one day? It had never occurred to him that Castiel could fly away someday and yet he stood closer to the ground than anything than again, it was another thing Dean wondered about Castiel.

And it amazed him.