Couldn't Wait For You

The car had pulled up in front of the Winchester house hold early in the morning and it was a rush to the person driving it, but the words slurred in Dean's ears. His heart knocked back, he looked to the other but it was all a blur. One moment they were there, and the next it was night and they were all huddling around a bed with Dean's father in it.

Ellen and Jo were teary eyed and sniffling as Dean stood standing beside the bed, staring down and clenching his jaw while bawling his fists. His dad was right, neither of them liked the bed he was in. They all surrounded the bed, had ordered every one out of the room and no one was allowed in the hallways. That's how much they wanted to keep silence.

His dad coughed showing he's still breathing. He opened his eyes and smiled lightly to the people who surrounded his bed. "We're all here." He mumbled low, voice scruff and airy. Ellen reached forward and clasped his hand, with a sad smile she watched him. "Ellen." He smiled, "Still so beautiful." He looked to Jo, "And Jo, you take care of your mother." Jo nodded and smiled back. He finally turned his attention to Dean, "Dean. My son." He reached his hand up, Dean stared and looked over to the others. Teary eyed and holding his hands tightly, clutching for dear life. He just stood there, staring at the empty hand. This once, he reached down and closed his hand in his father's. He smiled, "My son." He said again, "So brave, and strong." Dean didn't let the pain show or the tears fall, there was a light brim of them but he didn't dare show his vulnerability to his dying father.

He let go of the other's hand and clasped it over Dean's, his hands cold with death. He bobbed his head, "It's okay." He said. Dean knew why he said it, and only he did. "It's okay." His lips quivered lightly but he didn't cry. He looked to the two then back to Dean, "The seedling." He said, Ellen and Jo's expressions going up to shock. "The seedling, where is it? I want to see 'em." Dean didn't give the girls a look, he just turned to the door and waited. "Cas." He called.

There was silence, nothing moved. A shadow waved over the crack of the door and it opened slightly, showing little eyes peering in. Dean held out his hand, "Come here." He demanded with a soft voice. The door opened so much slowly, but he stepped into the room. Castiel had a trench coat draped over him and his wings, mostly his wings, and though there was a big lump and black wings touched the floor ­­ it was enough to hide him.

Castiel reached out his hand and Dean took it, stepping behind Dean they both stared down. Ellen and Jo eying Dean, they didn't even know he was here. They hadn't been told he was there. "This is Castiel." Dean chimed lowly. His father smiled, weakly trying to sit up Ellen and Jo stood up but he put his hand up in protest that he could do it on his own. He looked at Castiel hiding behind Dean, peering around his shoulders. "Castiel." He said, the name rolling down his tongue slowly. "I remember Castiel."

Everyone's eyes went wide. Castiel stared, tilting his head. "Castiel had a different owner," he coughed roughly. He cleared his throat loudly, "Castiel had a different owner before. A close friend ­­ Mary." Cas stepped out from behind Dean, Dean turning to him watching.

"Castiel. It's me ­­ John." Every one froze waiting for Castiel to say something, or John to say something. Castiel just stared at the face he was suppose to remember, the voice he was suppose to recognize.

"It's been some time." He smiled, "You've grown." He croaked. Castiel stepped away from Dean, closer to John. John kept a smile up at Castiel, very slowly Cas raised his hand and grazed his soft finger tips across John's cheek.

As a seedling, when John first met Castiel he picked him up and the first thing Castiel did ­­ was touch John's cheek. He looked into his eyes, "It's great to know you're alive." He cracked before he started coughing again. He cleared his throat and Dean looked down at Castiel, while Cas glanced up at Dean. He exhaled shakingly, he smiled to the rest. "You take care of him now." He said, "Watch out for him Dean." John commanded.

Ellen and Jo looked up to Dean and Cas. "Castiel." John took his hand, Dean's already in hand. "Make sure to keep Dean alive." He smiled, pressed the two hands together and still holding them. He leaned his head back on the pillow, a cough making him scrunch up his face. He opened his eyes and looked to Dean and Castiel, he smiled.

And smiled.

And smiled.

And smiled.

Dean reached up, and shut John's eyes. Ellen and Jo grew into a crying fit as they cried out and held each other, Dean turned Castiel away from John. His eyes went hard, he kept his eyes down and pulled the coat over Castiel's wings again. Castiel pulled Dean before he could move, grabbing his hand he looked back down to John. Leaning down he pressed a kiss, this time, to John's eyes and slowly turned until Dean pulled him along. John was dead. And ­­ he smiled.