Chapter 20 - Missing

Gideon POV

Gideon POV

It's been a week ever since Mew was missing. I tried to find him everywhere but negatively, no single sign of him anywhere! I tried to look for Mew in some hotels, resorts, some available rental apartments nearby, and even in the hospital. I never wish something terrible had happened to Marcus, but what if he got into an accident after Allyssa rejected his proposal? I tried to contact different hospitals. I did go personally to check if Marcus was there, but nothing! I didn't find a single clue as to where is that best friend of mine.

"Mew, where are you? Would you please tell me where you are? Your family and I are so worried about you! Please don't do this. Don't do anything that will hurt yourself. I know you are in pain right now! But please, Mew! Let us help you! You have me. Your best friend! Please tell us where you are!" I sent this message to him many times this whole week, but still no answer from him. I've searched for him everywhere! As in everywhere!

I checked even his grandparents' house too. I can still remember how those two dogs guarding the house chased me, but I managed to enter the house by going over the fences.

Yes! Despite my not-so-sturdy body, I go over the fence hoping to find him, but I see no one in the house. I know that his grandparents died years ago, so no one remained to live here. Marcus's family goes here from time to time to celebrate Marcus's grandparent's death anniversary, but generally speaking, this house is empty.

I checked all the rooms on the house floors and saw a big picture frame hanging on the wall. It's a family photo, including Marcus, Elise, Uncle Luke, Auntie Vanessa, I think his grandparents, and a boy beside Marcus. Maybe this is Brother Luke Andrew; as I looked at his face, I felt like I'd seen him recently, not so long ago, but I don't remember when and where I saw him!

Fuck, my memory sucks! My weakness in life is my fragile capacity to remember a face, especially if we haven't seen it in a long time or you are not that important to me. Maybe that is why I already forgot Brother Luke's face.

The next day, I did go to the place where I brought him last time when he was so problematic and devastated because of Allyssa. I walk, I run, hoping that he is there and I will finally find him, but there's still no sign of him.

Walking beside the lake, I remembered how hurt he was after hearing his sister's comment about his relationship with Allyssa. The way he cried that time! If he was already broken when Allyssa was still here, his only problem was asking for assurance from her, but now! I can't imagine how much he is hurting right now. She left him! The woman he only wished to have for his lifetime disappeared from his life without any reason.

Seriously Marcus Evan Wayne! Where the hell are you? Do you know how much I'm worried about you right now? Please don't do anything stupid! I will hurt you if you do!

Uncle Luke assigned me to work on what Mew left in the company in terms of Business Management. I want to say no to him, but I don't know. I don't want to disappoint Uncle, especially now that Mew is missing. I ended up accepting it because I didn't want to add another burden to them. He is busy handling the whole corporation and his family. Now he is also busy looking for Marcus. I need to do anything that I can help ease his burden.

So basically, I acted as Temporary President of INF until Marcus returned. I must handle the company management, but the IT head manages the IT Staff. As expected, all employees were shocked by the news except Ms. Anne, Ms. Jane, and Ms. Erica, who already knew who I was. I accepted it even if I was still hesitant if I could do an excellent job as Marcus, but looking at Uncle Luke that day when he asked me to take over, I know I didn't have a choice but to agree.

Regarding my studies, it is good that we are already done with the requirements because I'm running for honors. Before the deliberations, I needed to finish all the required items earlier than the other students. A month from now, I will be graduating, hopefully at least a cum laude.

I still remember when Uncle Luke announced that I would be acting as president of INF, even if this company had a vice president, which was second to Mew's position as president. For some reason, Uncle Luke doesn't trust him like he trusts Mew, but he trusts me. He treats me like his son, as per Auntie. Uncle Luke is not vocal about his feeling. He is more like Action is way better than words type of person.

~~~

The day I was announced as Acting President.

I was busy arranging documents on my table simultaneously and kept trying to call Marcus's phone.

I've been calling him a hundred times already in the morning. I couldn't focus on my class earlier because I was preoccupied with trying to contact him. Surprisingly, I haven't destroyed my phone because of my slim line of patience but not this time! I can't lose control now! I had to find him.

Uncle Luke suddenly came into the company and announced that everyone should go to the auditorium because of some announcements.

After waiting in the auditorium, Uncle Luke spoke and announced something that shocked the whole place.

"Good Afternoon to every one of you! I apologize for the sudden announcement, but this is important! As you may know, my son, Marcus Evan Wayne, is out of the office and has taken an indefinite leave of absence because of personal matters, which I will not discuss further. We know how much my son works hard for this company, and he hasn't taken any vacations since he started working here. Now that he wanted to rest for a while, as a father, who am I to stop him, right? I can't let myself hinder my son's decision about this. But rest assured that this is not permanent. My son will return after resting, and I hope you will still welcome him. Despite this, the company needs to continue its daily operation; we need to ensure that the president position is filled by someone who can take the job as seriously as my son. For this, I have decided to appoint someone I know will fulfill all the jobs responsibility well. I've known this person since he was born, and I know his capabilities. I know he can fill Mew's seat as he is already familiar with how my son works. I believe my son already trained and taught him the ways."

I can feel the tension in the auditorium as I hear other employees' speculation about who will be the interim president. Some assume it is the Vice President. Some say that it's Ms. Anne, as she was Mew's secretary, and others.

Why do I feel nervous, especially since Uncle looks at me from time to time? What the hell are you saying right now? He hadn't named the person yet, but why did I feel the pressure was on me?

Ground, please swallow me right now!

"Without further ado, I would like to call him to join me on stage. Mr. Gideon Gulf Chantara!" Uncle Luke proudly announced to his employees and then looked at me again. He extended his hands and motioned me to go there near him.

Me?

As in me?

To be continued

WAANJAIMJORA