Chapter Sixteen: The Rumor

The cold February winds were just starting in Hogwarts, and although it was still chilly, the students roaming the hallways were glad it was just starting to warm down.

During the past month of January, it was a very busy month. Everyone was scrambling to study or do anything since the end of year was coming soon.

During this past month, Ron and Elaine had gotten closer. Way closer. They knew they both had a tension there, but the problem was that Ron also had a crush on Hermione.

He's always had one. Elaine knew that. She suspected it really early on. Particularly when she just came to Hogwarts. And she needed for Ron to decided what he wanted.

She wasn't going to follow after someone who already loved someone else. She wasn't going to be a homewreker either. She would respects Ron's opinion. Ron hadn't admitted that he liked Elaine, but it was pretty obvious.

She obviously also felt the need to step away from Ron and just let it be a friendship for Hermione's sake. Hermione was a very dear friend of Elaine and she would never want to hurt her. So she would make the right decision and tell Ron she wanted to stay a friendship. Just as she did with Draco. Although Draco hurt a bit more, this was going to be hard. Again Elaine, putting other people before herself. Something she always did. She never put herself over anyone.

Although for Draco, he has grown jealous of Ron and Elaine. Elaine spend less and less time with him for Ron. He was worried Elaine might date Ron or stop being friends with him. He had to do something about it. Elaine has barely even hung with him the past month. He needed to let her know that he was hurt. That he knew she hadn't been with him.

So he did the only thing he could think would get her back. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Blaise. He took that as a perfect opportunity to devour his plan. "Hey Blaise!" He called. Blaise made his way next to him.

"What's up?" He asked curiously. Draco smirked. "Do you want to know something?" Draco said with his smirk still plastered on.

***

The next morning, Elaine woke up with a tired expression. She was dreading this day. They say she would tell Ron. She didn't know how he would react but knowing Ron, he would probably understand. So that eased her a bit.

She straighten her hair something she barely even did, while putting on her uniform carefully. She also used light makeup with an eyeliner wing, and started heading out the door.

As soon as she stepped into the light of the common room, she saw everyone stare at her. She saw some 3rd years whispering about her. She also saw lots of boys pointing. She carefully rubbed her face hoping nothing was wrong with her.

She walked out to breakfast, again all heads turned to her. She didn't know why. Why were people looking and staring? did she do anything wrong? she tried to think of what she could have possibly done but nothing came in mind.

She arrived at the great hall, and everyone hopefully looked to bother eating their food. She made her way to sit with her friends on the Gryffindor table. She spotted Ron, Harry, Hermione, Fred, George. She sat next to George while he looked at her.

Everyone at the table looked at her disgust. Even Ron. Everyone looked like they hated her. "Can you pass me the salt Ron?" Elaine asked impatiently.

"I don't know why don't you ask Draco" Ron asked with a disgusted face. "Draco? why him?" Elaine asked. "Don't act as you don't know" Ron spat back. Elaine suddenly got super frustrated and slammed her hand on the table causing it to shake.

"Ok what's going on here!? ever since i woke up everyone's been looking at me weirdly!" Elaine spat. "Ask Draco" Ron said mad. "Fine Ronald! i will! when you stop being ignorant come talk to me!" Elaine left before he could even say anything.

She left them startle and full of tension. Elaine had no idea what was up everyone's arses today. She had no idea what happened but hoped Draco would know.

She strolled out of the Great hall and spotted Draco walking next to Blaise. Blaise started pointing at Elaine while Draco laughed with him. What ever she didn't know, he knew.

"Draco! do you know why everyone is pointing at me?" Elaine asked him. Blaise snorted and said "Oh come on Elaine, can't think of any reason?". It made Elaine furrow her eyebrows. "No" she said.

Blaise laughed again with Draco. "Tell me right now!" Elaine said. Blaise smirked and said "Well if you insist, Everyone knows about your little session with Draco last night". "Session? what session? i didn't even see Draco last night" Elaine said.

"Oh come on Elaine, no reason to lie now! everyone knows!" Blaise said. Elaine was starting to get frustrated. She noticed Draco laughing. "Blaise. tell me now" Elaine demanded.

"How do you want me to put it Elaine? Well i'll put it like this, Draco here told everyone about how last night you guys were making out and you almost did "you know what" Blaise said patting Draco proudly.

"Excuse me?" Elaine said with anger. "Draco can i have a moment alone?" Elaine said trying to remain calm. "He's all yours. Good luck mate, maybe you'll do it this time" Blaise said patting Draco again and strolling away.

As soon as he left, Elaine pulled Draco into an empty room. She pushed him against the wall until his back hit it. She looked angry. And Draco looked scared.
"Why did you tell everyone we almost did you know what yesterday! When you know i didnt even see you last night!" Elaine said.

"I think you already know why" Draco said a bit scared. "Stop playing games with me Malfoy!" Elaine said. Draco knew she was angry because she used his last name.

"You barely even hang out with me anymore! You only hang with Weasley! I thought you were dating him! and you needed to be teach a lesson and let you know i was angry!" Draco said raising his voice. Elaine shouted "So you spread a rumor i almost slept with you? because i didn't hang with you a lot!? and if i'm dating Ron isn't your business!"

Draco said "exactly". Elaine breathed in and out. Trying her best not to punch Malfoy. After a while, she stayed calm. She calmly said in a verge of tears "i was going to talk to him today. That i wanted to spend more time with you. That i didn't want to be his girlfriend. That i wanted to be friends. i've been trying to tell him for weeks. I missed you Malfoy. I wanted to tell him in the nicest way possible to not ruin my friendship with him. But it seems you've already done it for me".

She took a strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear. Tears started rolling down her cheek silently. She quickly wiped them away trying to not let Draco see them. She was about to open the handle of the door, when she felt a cold hand on her wrist.

Draco suddenly regretted everything. He actually said he felt bad? remorse? he often never felt that. but again, there's lots of new things Elaine made him feel.

"Don't." Elaine said grasping her hand away. She turned the handle and stepped out walking outside. Hoping to find her friends there to explain. And to hopefully put their friendship back together.

And as for Draco, she didn't know what would happen with him. If she would be able to forgive him. If she should forgive him. She thought to herself, does he even feel remorse? does he even care about her? she was conflicted with her feelings.