Smile || ATEEZ

Yunho stood at the bathroom mirror, watching himself carefully. There was something about his face that he didn't like, at all. And that would be his crooked smile. So here he is, smiling at his reflection with tears in his eyes.
    Ugly.
    That's what Yunho thought of himself. He was the only one in the dorms, the others out practicing. So, knowing there was no one there to see, he let his tears fall along with his smile. The tall boy backed up to the wall, sliding down it onto the bathroom floor. Quiet sobs left his lips as he sat with his head thrown back.
    The front door opened, and a call of Yunho's name was heard. Yunho wiped his nose and eyes, sniffing and checking himself in the mirror. Other than his eyes being a little red, he didn't look like he'd been crying. "Coming!" he shouted from the doorway. Yunho recognized the voice as Mingi, his caregiver's voice. Suddenly, he didn't believe he looked fine.
    Mingi can read him like a book.
    Taking tentative steps, Yunho entered the living room cautiously. Mingi wasn't there. "You're home early," he said, rubbing his arm. "Yeah, I was one of the first to go. Have you seen your favorite cup? I was gonna make you some angel's milk!" The little followed the voice into the kitchen, where Mingi was searching through the cabinets. "It's in our room," Yunho said. Mingi turned around with a smile.
    "I'll go and- Have you been crying?" Yunho sighed, knowing he couldn't get anything past his caregiver. "No..." Mingi looked at Yunho, raising a brow. "No lies. Have you been crying?" Yunho looked up at the ceiling, tears coming to his eyes. "Yeah," he said, voice cracking at the singular word.
    Mingi stepped forward, putting a finger on Yunho's chin and gently pulling down. Once they were face to. face, Mingi saw how hard Yunho was trying not to cry. "Yunho, my little sweetheart..." The gentle look in Mingi's eyes and how softly he was holding the side of Yunho's face made the little start to cry. "I'm sorry I lied," he said, sniffling. Mingi took hold of his little's hand and walked him over to the couch.
    "Come here," Mingi said, pulling Yunho down into his lap. The little wiggled around, trying to get comfy before settling down. "Do you like my smile?" Yunho asked abruptly. "Of course, sweetie, I love it!" This brought a smile to Yunho's face for a second, the smile falling one he remembered why they were where they were. "I don't," he said, frowning. Mingi's eyes widened slightly at the words. "Sweetheart, what do you mean you don't?" Yunho looked Mingi straight in the eyes as he said,
    "I don't like my smile, it's crooked and weird and I hate it."
    "Yunnie, your smile is one of my favorite things about you! It's so pretty!" Mingi said. "I don't expect you to love your smile with just those words, but I'll help you. I'll help you learn to love your smile." Mingi's look flipped like a coin, suddenly evil looking. "Can I see your smile?"
    "What?"
    Mingi raised his hands, fear making itself known in Yunho's eyes. "No!" the little squealed as Mingi started tickling him. Uncontrollable laughter erupted from Yunho's throat, a huge smile spreading across his face. As soon as he yelled out "stop" Mingi's hands ceased their movement. Mingi never wanted to make Yunho uncomfortable, so he's told Yunho that when he says "stop" it means just that.
    "There's that beautiful smile I love!"