Chapter 31

I pushed open the door and closed my eyes briefly as the cool, ac air hit her. She loved that smell and the feeling even if it was brief. It might seem weird to others but she always loved how companies and laboratories smell especially the smell of S.T.A.R labs, which was now like a second home to her. Part of the reason why she applied for a job there was to get away from her mom as far as possible. She didn't regret it at all. Not even one bit.

The woman behind the counter didn't look up even when I cleared my throat. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. It was too early for this and she had only one cup of coffee before she came to meet her mother. Now she was starting to regret not getting more coffee. She didn't know how the meeting with her mom was going to turn out.

"Hi, I would like to meet Dr. Tannhauser?" I noticed immediately that it came out as a question and not as a statement. She didn't even want to come here but she was desperate. Too desperate that she had to admit she needed her mom's help.

The lady finally looked up and asked lazily. "Do you have an appointment?"

"Well no but—"

"Then sorry you can't. Please schedule an appointment if you want to meet her. She's a busy woman.

I hesitated. I could just tell her that I was her daughter but I didn't. I opened my mouth trying to think of an excuse or something on the spot when she heard her mom's voice. She heard the tap-tap of heels that her mom always wears as she approached her. I still didn't understand why her mom likes heels so much. It was uncomfortable.

"Thank you Diana but this young lady here is my daughter and she can come to see me any time. Isn't that right Caitlin?" Her voice was cool and her eyes sharp. She has her hair up neatly in a bun which seemed to make her look more serious.

"Nice to see you mom," I muttered under my breath. The lady behind the counter who's named was Diana raised an eyebrow as she looks back and forth between her and her mother.

"Oh, why didn't you just say so?" She asked, her face flushed.

"Don't you see the resemblance?" I asked innocently. She was almost always automatically in a bad mood whenever she had to see her mom. She doubted it had anything to do with the coffee, no matter how many cups she drinks before she came here.

I quietly followed my mom to her office. It was neat and tidy as always. Not a single thing out of place. Unlike the old office of her dad's back in the house, she used to live with her parents when her dad was still alive. It was a distant memory to her now. She purposely wanted to mess some things up a bit. It was too organized to her liking.

Her mom sat down beside her desk and took off her lab coat.

"So! What brings you here to Tannhauser Industries?"

Her mom and she had a rocky relationship and they haven't been in contact in a while. No doubt this unexpected visit was a surprise to her.

"I need your help mom," I told her.

She sighed. "You never called, you never reached out to me and now you come here to ask for my help? That's so you Caitlin. Typical you."

"I am my mother's daughter." I blurted out and immediately bit my lip.

"I didn't come here to fight with you. This is a serious matter."

"How may I help you then?" Her mother carefully laced her fingers together as she leaned back on her chair.

"I have cold powers."

"You're a meta?"

"No I mean yes—I don't know. It's hard to explain.

"What can you do with these—the power of yours?"

I swallowed down the bitter words that wanted to come out. Typical of her mother not even bothering to ask how she was and if she was okay.

"I can't do anything," I said, answering her question. "At least not as Caitlin. I have an alter-ego inside me called Killer Frost. I tried to keep her at bay but she came out recently and almost killed my friends. My friend Cisco made a cure but it only cured me temporarily. With his help, I managed to keep her suppressed again but I can still feel her inside me. I need to be rid of her permanently and I need your help.

The words rushed out of her and she stared at her mom waiting for her reaction. Her eyes never left hers.

"I have Cisco's research somewhere here." I rummaged for my bag and put it on her desk. This is how Cisco and Harry made a cure. Unfortunately, it wasn't permanent. Are you going to help me or not?"

"Of course I will Caitlin. You're still my daughter and I'm your mother."

I felt relief wash over me and gratitude. Her shoulders relaxed. Despite whatever happened between them, she was still glad she could count on her.

"I will need to run some tests of course." Her mother replied as she took Cisco's papers. "I will get back to you as soon as I find something."

I nodded. "Thanks, mom." I turned to leave when her mom called out.

"Caitlin wait. Remember that you still have a home here. I know I haven't exactly been the best mom to you but I want to change things between us."

Tears threatened to fall and I angrily clenched my fists turning towards her. "Ever since dad died, you weren't the same. You weren't there for me when I needed you the most. You threw yourself into work and we grew apart. Perhaps it's too late for change now mom. I've accepted this a long time ago."

I walked out of the room and didn't look back once.