Reminiscing, new feelings

(Leah's pov)

As me and Keira walk back to the hotel with our bags on our backs we couldn't help but take a walk back down memory lane and remember all the things we went through with the national team to get to where we were.

"Remember the first time we met in the U 15?" I said.

"Yep, back in 2010. We were 13." She said.

"I remember being hella nervous about it. Just imagine my 13 year old shy self walking up to this camp where I knew basically nobody. I walked in the doors and next thing I know you bump into me and we both fall to the ground. My face turned bright red! The girls called me tomato for the rest of that camp." I said, making both of us laugh.

"You know how bad I felt about it later! I ranted on about how sorry I was to all the girls when I sat back down after saying sorry to you." She told me.

"That first call up was a blast though. Like we trained properly but as soon as we were off the pitch, that was a different story. We took a mattress out and threw people down the stairs on it. I think somebody broke their finger from that."

"Half the team escaped the hotel and went into a private pool at 10 pm or something. Remember the coach's face when he found us in the pool. Or when we prank called half the staff for that tournament. Or us trying to speak Spanish, German, Italian and Dutch with the girls from other teams? All these memories are just rushing back, it's so nice." Keira said as we were about half way back to the hotel

"And then the heartbreak of the penalties against Italy in the U 17 just missing out on the podium."

"Still remember the moment the Italian girl scored. That sucked, but there was captain Leah Williamson to cheer me up." She joked. "And then came the disappointment of the U 20s."

"Yeah that year wasn't good for us. Still the best memories I probably have of the U teams are just pranking people really." I said which made Kiera laugh. "Poor Chloe, she's had us through all the stages of the U teams, literally pranking her wherever she went."

"I know! I think the worst one was when we were with the U 17s and Chloe was just new to the squad. We woke her up in the middle of the night and told her she was late for training. She got dressed super fast and rushed out of the door while we ran behind her. I kid you not her face when she saw it was pitch black outside, the best day of my life." Keira jokingly said.

"Sometimes I wish I could relive those times, it just felt like everything was more simple; easier." I said.

"I mean, I like to re-see and re-feel them but I like living in the present. I mean if I didn't live in the present I wouldn't have seen my best friend get her first assist and first goal for the senior team would I?" Keira said as she wrapped her arm around my neck.

"Where have you two been?" Lucy asked us as we walked into the dining room.

"Well we took a walk down memory lane." I said as I grabbed a plate of food and sat with them.

"You had us worried! We thought you got lost or worse kidnapped." Jordan said, making both me and Kiera laugh.

"Oh Jordan, we're not 15 year old girls, we can look out for ourselves." I told her.

"But I worry, we wouldn't want our goal scorers to get kidnapped in Barcelona." She said.

"Hey why don't we finish eating this and then head to the beach for a bit, it's already dark so it will be a bit chilly. But like that we can celebrate today because we're leaving to head back to England tomorrow." Lucy cut in.

And about 10 minutes later there we were walking to the beach in the dark with just two towels to sit on.

"Over in the far right, it's super peaceful, nobody was there the other day at least." I tell them as we approach the beach.