What about football?

(Jodan's pov)

After the girls headed home for the night it was just me and Leah. We gave Keira and Lucy a set of our keys and told them they could sleep in the room on the second floor.

They were gonna come back next morning to bring Leah a change of clothes since she was still in her arsenal gear with a pair of tracksuits over it.

The doctor didn't let Leah sleep with me on my bed since it was dangerous if she moved too much or hit something by accident, so she had to sleep in the seat beside me.

I closed my eyes to try and go to sleep but as soon as I did my mind started to process everything that had happened that day. My season was over, and I didn't actually know if I could play football again.

The injury I had had previously ended various careers, and I was afraid mine was gonna be the next to end because of it.

I kept moving around in the bed trying to fall asleep but I just couldn't. It had been so easy to fall asleep a few hours ago, while Leah held me in her arms but now I could barely keep my eyes shot.

I looked over to see Leah was still awake too, looking at me with a tear rolling down her cheek. I brushed it away with my thumb before bringing her into a hug.

"What's wrong baby?" I asked her.

"I'm sorry. I really do wanna be positive, but I'm really scared. Not only for your physical well being but also mental. It's gonna take a big tool on you. You live for this game." She told me, our faces inches apart as we looked into each other's eyes.

"We don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow, or in 5 months. we're both here today, I'd lie to you if I said I wasn't scared too, but that's just gonna emotionally drain me more." I told her as I put my hand through her hair. "We've got each other through it all. And that alone, already gives me a head start." I said before giving her a kiss.

We fell back to our beds for the night. Her hand in mine as I caressed it, so we could both fall asleep easier knowing we have each other near us.

It wasn't until 4 am that I fell asleep, but it didn't last much as I woke up at 6 am. Leah was still sleeping so I took my phone from the side and looked through it.

I got stressed quickly with all the messages I was receiving so I left it back down from where I had gotten it taking a deep breath.

The time ticked by slowly in the hospital. I had the clock in front of me so I just looked at it move slowly, as I waited for Leah to wake up or the doctor to come in to check on me.

It was 8.30 am when I felt Leah move in her chair. She let go of my hand and stretched her arms out letting a big yawn out.

"Good morning beautiful." I said as I smiled at her.

"Good morning baby. How did you sleep?" She asked me.

"Good, I just woke up a few minutes ago." I lied not wanting to worry her.

"Keira told me her and Lucy would come by in a bit, since they're awake and really just want to be there for both of us." She told me.

"Okay." I told her as I closed my eyes a bit.

"We'll be home in no time baby, I promise, and we can work on it from there." She said as she gave my hand a kiss.

"And what happens if they tell me I can't play football?" I asked her, being the only thing passing by my mind right now.

"You'll prove them wrong. I believe in you. I need you to believe in yourself now." She told me as she flicked through the channels on the television.

"I'm losing the Euros and ending the best season of my career."

"So far. Your career isn't ending, you're gonna have many more good years, trust me." She said, giving me a kiss on my forehead.

I couldn't help but smile at the thought of having her beside me for the rest of my life. She kept me grounded, happy, confident, positive. She kept me fighting for everything I wanted.

"Hello." I heard someone say which made me snap out of my day dream.

"Hey! I'll take the clothes and change, give me a quick minute." Leah said as she grabbed a bag from Keira and went into the bathroom.

"How you feeling?" Lucy asked me.

I shrugged trying to think of what to tell her. "I've been better, but it's not the worst." I finally said.

"I'm really proud of you man. I'd be balling my eyes out stressing about everything." Lucy said.

"I mean I would too if it wasn't for this one." I said pointing at Leah as she came out of the bathroom.

"I'd love to stay with you guys for a bit more, but Keira's train is leaving in an hour and I've got to head to the airport afterwards." Lucy told both of us.

"Thanks for letting us stay at your place. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. And please keep us updated on anything, how you guys are feeling anything. Please." Keira said as she gave me a hug and then gave Leah one.

Tiem ticked by until a doctor came and checked my breathing, pulse, pain tolerance and how I could walk with the crutches.

"Okay, that was really good. you'll be able to leave today for sure. I'm just not sure when, but when I know I'll let you know." He said before leaving the room again.

"That sounded good, right?" Leah said as soon as he left the room.

"I think so." I said not having really listened to anything he said.

We spent the rest of the time in the hospital playing card games and talking about stuff that had nothing to do with me getting injured, helping both of us keep our mind off of it.

"You're ready to head home." The doctors said as he helped me into a wheelchair. "I know you can use crutches too, but I think it'll be best if you use the wheelchair for a week or two, so you can properly rest your whole body."

"Okay, thanks for everything." Leah told him as she rolled me out of the hospital.

Leah helped me into the car, and then put my wheelchair in the back seat before she got in the driver's seat. She looked over at me, which I was clearly in pain and gave me a quick peck before driving back home.

Arsenal ⚽️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On our way back from the
hospital.

Kim: Great to hear! Might pass
by to see how you're doing.

Lisa: Hope it doesn't hurt too
much. If you need anything let
us know.

Dan: We're on our way!

I kind of just wanna rest for
today. You guys will see me
 tomorrow, don't worry.

"We're back home now bubba." Leah said, making me put my phone back in my pocket.

"Can we take a nap? I'm wrecked after yesterday." I told her as she helped me out of the car.

"Of course, anything you want or don't want let me know and I'll do what I can." She said giving me a kiss on the head.

"Thanks Lee, I'm really grateful for you, you know. It's nice to have somebody care for you as much as you care for me." I told her kissing her hand that was guiding the wheelchair.

"I'm doing the bare minimum, you'd do the same for me."

"I love you."

"I love you bubba."