22~ Xavier Russo

Holding Bella like this against my chest was...satisfying. Her head was gently placed on my bandaged chest as she gazed out the open hood of the car out into the starless night sky with her arms wrapped around me.

She almost seems like a different person... so vulnerable and cute. I stroked her beautiful blonde hair as she cuddled into me.

"So this is how you ended up with bruises all the time", She mumbled to herself while I hummed in response.

"You're doing this for her, aren't you?", Bella gazed up at me while I glanced down at her.

"How'd you guessed?", I tucked a short strand of her hair away from her dazzling eyes.

"Call it female intuition", She teased making me scoff.

"Can I ask you something?", She suddenly inquired timidly.

"Go ahead"

"Wh-what happened to her?", I sighed as I ran a free hand through my hair.

"My parents were in a car crash three years ago and it killed them on impact while Cheriè...suffered a head trauma which placed her in a persistent vegetative state. I tried everything back in Rome to get to her to wake up but nothing worked. I even sold the house and fought fights in Rome too to get her the best and most expensive treatment out there but nothing worked. After turning eighteen, I transferred her custody from my uncle to me and came here with the help of Mr Grey to try and get her more help he-", I cut myself off as I heard Bella's sharp intakes of breath and irregular breathing.

"What's the matter Bella?", I tilted her head up to me. Her eyes were rimmed with tears again as she lightly shook.

"I- I, E-mma too was in a c-car crash three years ago", Bella stuttered furiously as she shook violently making me press her hard against my chest as I rocked her.

"Breathe Bella. Who is Emma?", I tried soothing her by stroking her cheek softly. After a moment of silence she spoke again.

"Xavier..." , Bella called out to me softly as I pecked the side of her head.

"Hm?"

"Would you listen to me if I were to tell you something that's haunted me for the past three years? I want to let go Xavier...It's killing me everyday, everytime I see something that reminds me of her, I get panic attacks. I want to acknowledge her death, her unfair and unjustified death. She didn't deserve to die the way she did", Bella's grasp on me tightened as she cried her heart out.

"You can tell me anything Mia Bella. I promise to be by your side and hold you as I listen to you", I honestly expressed as I kissed her forehead.

"We were going home from a gala that night...My mom, me and Emma- m-my baby sister. Dad had to stay behind in the gala for some extra meetings and so he sent us home with a designated driver. The driver...h-he changed routes and drove us to an abandoned road but we were too tired to notice. Yet...Emma noticed an-and told me that she's scared but I ignored her", Bella cried before continuing,"O-only when we crashed against a big truck with the driver jumping out did we notice that we were not where we were supposed to be. The car toppled over with glass pieces piercing our skin and by the time I was able to open my eyes I saw Emma uh-unconscious with her head on my lap while my mother was bleeding with a g-gun pressed against her head", My hold on Bella tightened. I can't imagine what she must've gone through.

"H-he was Sinister Hawthorn, a-a politician who ran against my father. He threatened my mom and told her to tell my dad to drop out of the election but that pathetic excuse of a woman fainted leaving me to deal with the monster", By now Bella was shaking again, so I held her tightly and stroked her hair as I rocked her in my arms.

"He then saw me conscious and spoke to me saying that if my dad didn't drop out of the election, worse things would happen. I- I made things worse by calling him a coward.", She grabbed her hands and covered her face as she broke down.

"Shh, it's okay Bella." I tried to comfort her but she shook her head and spoke the words that made me shake to my core.

"He shot her! He shot my baby sister laying on my lap! Her blood splattered against my face as the asshole scoffed and fled the scene!", Bella was now violently shaking and knew she was on the verge of having a panic attack.

What does one do in times like this!?

I just went with my instincts and grabbed her face making her look at me.
"Look at me Bella. You're not there anymore, You're not alone anymore. You have me here right beside you, come back to me. You're safe and Emma she is in much better place, away from this cruel word, She lives in your heart Bella. Cherish her memories and let go of the trauma you're holding on to"

"H-how? How can I when the asshole responsible is not convicted!?"

"What?!"

"They framed the driver for the murder, he got life sentence but he was then killed in prison by an inmate. I-I couldn't testify in court, the-they ruled me out as a witness saying, I'm traumatised and therefore mentally u-unstable. So my dad used his influence and power to dig up dirt on H-hawthorn and jailed him for money laundering and tax fraud", Bella clenched her fists angrily while tears still ran down her cheeks.

"Evil can't and won't win Bella, just you wait, I'm sure he'll pay for his sins sooner or later.", I wiped the tears away from her eyes as she stared at me.

I pressed her against my chest as we just layed there in the silence under the dark sky. After a moment I stroked her puffy cheeks and swollen eyes realising now that she has fallen asleep.

Placing my cloak over her to shield her from the cold, I pressed a button to pull the hood of the car back on. Afterwards I leaned back the seat and adjusted Bella on me before wrapping my arms around her small figure.

I thought back on everything she has been through and suddenly I have a newfound respect to how she handles herself. For her to be standing after having gone through something like that just goes on to show how strong she is. While her mother cowardly ran away leaving her to deal with shit, she still stood strong and didn't let that break her. She chose to stand by her father no matter the risks eventhough she had witnessed it firsthand. She is a crazy strong woman.

Miss Natalie White, I am completely and utterly in awe of you.