𝐮 𝐧 𝐮 𝐬

P H I L O C A L Y
(n.) the love of beauty

• • •

To me, family is everything — I don't see them often and by that I mean only at someone's funeral.

I'd lay my life down in a blink of an eye to save someone who's a Torres; no matter if I like them or not, no matter if we get along or not... Torres is blood and we have been taught that without family, you're nothing.

The Torres, this family works a little weirdly. We're not like a normal family; we kill to survive, we kill to earn, we kill for our reputation and we will kill anyone who crosses our path. We're bloody assassins... a family full of assassins — a family raised to be assassins.

We all lay low, but live ravishingly. I can't deny the fact we're all so greedy, we consume ourselves in materialistic needs, though I'm not as bad.

Torres. We've created quite the name, no one dares to mess with us and I'm not saying this because of my overloaded ego, it's the truth. But what makes us so hyped is that no one knows what we look like or who we are, except for three members; my father, mother and brother. Gotta have a face for our business, of course.

But what's confusing to a lot of people, when we say family, we don't actually mean blood related relatives. Though, there are some but we're a family gang wise.

"I'm so glad he's dead." And I thought I was the one who had no sympathy.

"Shay, the guy is laying dead in the casket not too far from us," I straightened my sunglasses. "Time and place, honey... time and place." No matter what I say, she's not going to care.

"I mean, they say, family is all and shit but this guy," She sniggered. "He was an asshole."

Frankly, I agree with her. "Biggest dickhead in the family," I contained my laugh after hearing her quietly wheeze besides me. "R.I.P, though." I quickly added, failing to contain my laugh as we both laughed as quietly as possible.

"Ladies," I felt a warm hand on my lower back, the rich cologne instantly letting me know who it is. "This is a funeral." Like we don't know.

"Oh, really? Shit, my bad, thought this was a baby shower." I sarcastically sassed as I looked back, up at him to see a small smirk on his lips.

"Keep running your mouth, sweetheart, and watch." His fingers gave my waist a little squeeze as he disappeared back into the crowd behind us.

"Holy shit, you guys—" Let me cut her off before any of those ridiculous assumptions.

"No, definitely not," I shook my head. "He likes saying shit like that, thinks he's funny." I rolled my eyes as I watched the wife sit there with no expressions on her face. I'm convinced she's the one who killed him, like damn, they really hated each other.

"I can see you guys getting married," She smirked knowing exactly what's up. "I can picture the whole thing, three kids, a mini-van—"

"Shay, one, we're not a white suburban family, and two, shut the fuck up and pay yo' damn respects." I sternly said, faking it because I know for a fact this bitch has no respects to give... but I mean, same.

This wake is just an excuse for everybody here to drink and catch up on their gossip. Can't nobody convince me otherwise.

"I know his rotten soul is burning in hell right now." Damn, does nobody here have chill?

"Mason," I kept looking back and forth between the two. "Let's not go there."

"No, darling, he is right." She came forwards, joining our little circle with a glass of champagne in her hand.