Chapter 1

Sword raised I slowly circled, scanning the forest surrounding me. The thick cluster of trees blocked the sunlight from truly shining through, leaving patches of gold dancing across the floor, teasing me with its movement.

My arm was steady and true as I waited, knees bent.
The wind changed directions sending my silver hair flying. Goosebumps raised along my arms, I knew my assailant was near.

Two green eyes flashed in the darkness of some nearby bushes. I noted them as soon as they appeared, my fae senses heightened. Though I had marked my target, I carried on turning.

Let them think they had the upper hand.

A rustle of leaves and a ferocious roar shook the trees as the giant beast leapt for me

I turned back quickly, a smile spread across my face. I rolled left and the black figure flashed past me. Quickly regaining footing and facing me once more, the creature growled and I felt my lips tugging up even further.

Two giant paws lined with razor sharp claws swiped past me again, changing my tactic I jumped back on the defensive.

Crouching down into a stance that looked ready to come at me once more, the panther look all ready to raise hell.

A rush of adrenaline came over me. Fighting like this took over all my senses and transformed me into something that wasn't wholly natural. I could only credit it to the years of training with the greatest warriors this world has ever seen. The dance of death Uncle Lorcan had called it and he was right. When I was fighting I felt at one. I felt at peace. I was unstoppable.

Changing into attack I ran towards the beast, sword in hand. I jumped, my air power lifting me higher than should be possible, over and behind the panther who was reaching towards me claws out. Time seemed to slow as I narrowly sailed past imminent death that those claws promised. I landed into a crouch behind the beast who didn't have chance to turn before my sword was around it's neck.

It was done.

"Better luck next time Lila" I stated, not trying to hide my smug tone.

The panther growled and I felt it's posture slacken admitting defeat. Slowly she shifted back into her human form. Lilabelle was beautiful, dark brown hair that always seemed to fall in exactly the right place and green eyes with a centre of gold. Ashryver eyes but different. The daughter of my aunt Lysandra and Uncle Aedion and also happened to be my partner in crime.

It was a Wednesday afternoon and per tradition we were in the forest training together. Lila would practice her shapeshifting and I my fighting skills and airpowers. After I singed off a patch of Lila's fur a couple of years ago she refused to train with me unless I vowed not to use any power that could be flammable.

I loved my fire ability most of all, it was by far the strongest of all of my powers and the most unique. My fire burned so hot at times it was cold. The flames that I produced were a deep shade of blue that had the ability to burn and freeze.

It was like I had mom and uncle dorians powers combined. My dad was still in awe whenever I used them. Lila sadly was not.

Fleetfoot had finally woken up from her nap. She was an old girl now so couldn't really go on too many walks but whenever me and Lila came to train she always followed. Mom said it was so she could watch over us. I don't know how much watching she does as it seems more like an excuse for an hours catnap.

I walked up and gave her a scratch behind the ear then tossed some clothes over to a naked human Lila.

She was still moaning about being beaten.
I turned to look at her

"Are you done complaining yet? Or are you still a sore loser?" I teased her

"Shutup fire farts," she growled

I mocked fake hurt

"Low blow fur brain." I giggled. Lila growled again.

Deciding that she was not in the mood for jokes today I moved on.

I turned back to give fleetfoot some more love and realised she had gone from her spot.

"Fleetfoot!" I called after her looking around me. After no response I went to follow her.

"Be back in a minute, I'm just gonna go find fleetfoot," I told Lila who was too busy to notice what was occurring as she was struggling to put her boots back on.

"Fleetfoot!" I called again and in response I heard a bark from a clearing in the trees. I wandered over to her as she stared up at a tree.

"What's up girl?" I asked her as she carried on barking

"Fleetf-" A black shape flashed into my peripheral vision. I smiled, the corners of my mouth pulling upwards.

"Getting your ass beat once wasn't enough for you Lila?"

Two long sharp claws pierced into my shoulders and I heard myself scream out in pain. One moment I was stood, the next I was being dragged by my shoulders across the ground.

"Lila?" I groaned.

In response the claws sunk deeper into my flesh and I writhed in pain. The forest floor fought against me, scratching my skin with its uneven surface but even that pain was next to nothing compared to the pulsing agony in my shoulder.

This beast wasn't one of Lila's forms, the talons sunk into my skin felt like like burning fire, which was impressive for a girl who couldn't be burnt. I'd been scratched by Lila before and it never felt like this. I felt my head becoming fuzzy and I started to panic.

I tried to fight back the sense of drowsiness and my attacker with no luck. I tried to grab onto the ground, the trees anything for keep me from being pulled away to my end . All my hours of training lost in sheer blind panic.

The fuzziness started to take control of my vision, blurring my senses. All I could hear was the faded sound of fleetfoot's barking and my groans of pain. A sudden flash and the feeling like I was falling took hold of my senses and then I fully blacked out.