Partners (4)

"Please tell me this is a joke!!" you whispered yelled towards Ben. "I understand your frustration, and you may think we're going to blow our cover, but we are not getting close to them. We won't be listening to what they'll be saying. We are simply observing and enjoying our dinner," Ben assured.

"You are oddly calm about this. Too calm for my liking. How did you know they were going to be here?" you still questioned with a silent tone. "While you were sleeping last night, I went through some audio footage and heard they would be having dinner here. Long story short, here we are," Ben shyly smiled.

In your mind, you tried to play out any negative scenarios, which were a lot, but nothing bad could happen if Ben simply looked at them from time to time to observe their movement. "This is so risky on so many levels, but I do have to say you're playing smart about it. You're laying low and just being patient," you took a sip of your water. "I'll take that as a compliment," he smiled. "Good because it'll be the only one you get," you replied with a laugh.

A few minutes passed and you and Ben ordered your appetizers. It was hard making small talk with Ben knowing that the guy your trying to put in federal prison was sitting a couple of tables behind you. Ben, from time to time, would glimpse behind you and look over at the guy, but he wouldn't make it obvious.

After your first dish was brought out, your waiter took your entree orders. Ben was the one that mostly talked. He did the normal "first date" talk of what his past was, and the people that he knew in Arizona. He talked about his past missions, without being too loud or without being obvious they were CIA missions. Ben used code talk through most of it.

"[Y/n], I have a plan, but I want to go over it with you. I don't want you to think it's impulsive, and I won't do it if you know there are 0% possibilities of this working," Ben started out as you took the first bite of your food. You motioned for him to continue. He took out a small pouch from his pant pocket and set it on the table. You grabbed it from him and looked inside.

"Where did you get these from?" you looked up at him. "These aren't from work. I kinda slept with someone from work and they were able to tell me who's our distributor for these, and I bought a whole order," Ben rubbed the back of his neck. "A whole order comes in at least 2 dozen, and needless to say these are at the top of the high-end list, and very expensive," you took the smallest microphone ever made and put it on the tip of your finger.

"Yeah I know, but I bought them because I knew they would eventually come in handy for an operation. Do you want to hear my plan or do you want me to just forget about it?" Ben questioned. Looking at the devices, you had an idea of where this was going, "Yeah, I'll hear you out."

You continued eating your food, as did he, while he explained his plan. You weren't too sure if it was going to work out. There was a huge liability of being busted and ending the mission, or it could become the opposite. If Ben did what he planned, there was potential for him to get bigger leads in the near future.

Before any of you could finish your dinner, you gave Ben the go-ahead. He took one last bite and proceeded with his plan. He grabbed two tiny microphones chips and head in the direction of their table, which surprisingly was on the way to the bathroom. A waiter was passing by with a tray filled with drinks for a table near Emmanuels. Ben kindly nodded at the waiter and continued to use the restrooms.

You knitted your brows, that was not part of the plan. A couple of minutes later, Ben came out. He was walking back towards the table. You knew he wasn't going to go through with the plan because you could tell he did not have the chips in his hand anymore. You didn't know what went wrong but you looked away from Ben.

A few seconds later, you heard plates breaking on the floor. Everyone, including you, looked towards the noise. Ben was on the floor, fuming with anger. "Are you serious?" you could hear the rage in his voice, this was not planned at all. "I'm so sorry sir," the young busboy helped Ben stand up, as he grabbed onto the table that was right in front of Emmanuel's table.