Chapter 76: War Pt. 2

W A R   P T.  2

———

Mal's POV

"Draco!" I heard Narcissa start crying faintly, standing on Voldemort's side. How dare you? You who didn't do anything to prevent his sad fate! You just stood by while your husband physically and mentally abused him for years! I knew I was being unfair to her, she had suffered mental abuse from him as well, but the love of my life is dead beside me. I have no patience to be nice.

Again, someone pulled on my shoulders, harder this time and I yanked my arm away. "No! I just need to try. One... more... time!" I said between sobs and used my anger at Voldemort to punch Draco's chest with as much force as I could, just like I've seen done in movies.

He got up suddenly, gasping for air, and I felt my soul come back into my body. He's still here. Alive. I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly. I grabbed his face and pressed my lips against his, grateful for his life, he kissed me back but we pulled away quickly, painfully aware of the situation we were in. "Thank God!" The curse had missed. Voldemort had missed. Thank you God for not taking him away from me.

"Draco." I heard Narcissa's voice full of relief call out his name. I held his hand and helped him up, making sure he kept my jacket pressed against his head, applying pressure to his injury until I can properly access his wound and heal it.

"Impossible!" Voldemort called out, furious at his failure.

"You missed!" I called out, feeling brave and incredibly relieved at the fact that the love of my life was still standing beside me, living and breathing, holding my hand tightly. He's alive. He's breathing. Therefore, I can too. Draco squeezed my hand and shook his head at me, instructing me to not provoke Voldemort.

"Anyone else wish to join us, and live?" Voldemort asked, clearly desperate to get people on his team.

Suddenly, Neville hobbled his way up to Voldemort, sorting hat in hand, and I remembered again the deadly situation we were all in. No. Neville won't join them. He can't. He must have a plan. We've got to trust him.

"I expected better..." He looked over at his death eaters and laughed maliciously.

"I'd like to say something." Neville said, obviously terrified of the noseless man standing in front of him. "People die all the time, I mean: Harry, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, Snape. And let's not forget the people that came before them: Dumbledore, Sirius, Cedric, Dobby. Their deaths will not be in vain. But yours will be!" We all stood there, in utter shock of the complete bravery our friend was showing. "Harry's heart beat for us! For all of us! And it is not over!" He looked at us. "Dumbledore's Army!" He raised one fist in the air proudly and all of us in the DA repeated after him.

"Dumbledore's Army!" I have never been prouder of my friend as I was at this point. Everything after this happened so quickly. Suddenly, Neville pulled Godric Gryffindor's sword out from the sorting hat he was holding. Voldemort raised his wand, about to kill Neville when Harry jumped out of Hagrid's arms. Gasps and murmurs were heard from the crowd at Potter's sudden resurrection. Damn, he really is the boy who lived. I felt Draco let go of my hand and start running towards Harry.

"Potter!" He yelled and threw his wand at Harry. I smiled so big my cheeks started to hurt but I didn't care. My boyfriend is helping Harry Potter. He's helping the one person he's always had a rivalry against. Harry caught the wand and stood up, starting to fire spells at Voldemort, who had still not moved from the shock. I looked over at Mione, who smiled and laughed with how much relief she felt at the fact that Harry was alive. I turned around and saw George and Ginny smile for the first time since finding out about their brother.

Harry started running, jumping over fallen pieces of architecture and Voldemort started firing spells at him, attempting to finish the job. Harry was able to get away, and Voldemort looked around him, desperate and confused at what had just happened. Death eaters started Disapparating one by one, terrified of how Harry apparently could not be killed. Voldemort looked for Harry, breathing heavily and uncontrollably, trying to wrap his head around how Harry was still alive. Mcgonagall started bringing students back into the castle, all except for Ron, Mione, Neville, and me. As he filed in with the rest of the students, Draco looked at Mcgonagall apologetically, his face begging for forgiveness and she looked at him like a mother looks at a child who had lost their way and begun to find it, giving him a small smile and a nod.

"Neville you have to kill the snake." Mione told him. Neville nodded and put his sword in position, walking towards Nagini.

"NO!" Voldemort yelled and fired a spell at Neville, who shielded himself with his sword and got sent flying back. I looked at Voldemort, prepared to take him on but he took Nagini and evaporated. Bloody Coward.

We went to check on Neville and his head was bleeding, I held my hand over the wound and gratefully, it wasn't deep, it started to heal quickly. But we made him stay down just in case he had a concussion. Ron, Mione, and I stood up, running to go look for Nagini. Wherever Harry is, we have to trust he could take on Voldemort. We had to do our part.

We ran into Nagini in the staircase, and started firing spells at it but it didn't budge, it seemed to chase us faster. We started running, Ron and Mione in the lead. Mione kept looking behind to check on me but I waved her on and continued to shoot spells to keep Nagini from getting to us. I tripped over something and fell back, realizing it was Hermione's foot. Ron was holding onto her for dear life and she extended her hand to me. I took it and we squeezed tightly as Nagini rose over us, opening her venomous mouth to kill us. Goodbye Draco. That's when the one person I thought I couldn't be prouder of showed me I could be. Neville came up from behind and sliced off her head, killing Voldemort's vicious pet. I smiled and lept up to hug Neville, reminding him of how proud I am, and how proud we all are. He's no longer the innocent, scared little boy I befriended so many years ago. He's brave and powerful. A true Gryffindor.

We ran out to the battlefield and saw Voldemort and Harry, both in the middle of very powerful spells against each other. Voldemort was visibly growing weaker, his horcruxes were all gone, all that was left was him. Harry can do this. Finally Voldemort dropped his wand and started crumbling to thin, small, paper-like pieces. A wave of relief visibly flowed over all of us and we all had smiles in our faces. He is gone. Finally. Harry and the rest of us are safe. I lifted up my sleeve and saw the mark on my forearm start to fade into a scar. Thankfully.

I felt a hand on the small of my back and looked behind me to hug Draco. He chose our side, after everything, he chose us. I went to hug Mione first, then went over to the rest of my friends, hugging each of them tightly. We got together in a group hug that even Draco joined.

We survived this. We survived. I can't believe we made it.

Maybe something else would come. Maybe tomorrow everything changes, but today we're alive. Today is what we'll focus on.

aaahhh!! i hope that the sadness was worth it for you all, don't worry this isn't the end just yet.

i hit you lovelies with a double update today, merry Christmas eve. i'll try to do another double tomorrow. have a great night loves!