Chapter 45: Thanksgiving

T H A N K S G I V I N G

———

Mal's POV

"I hate Thanksgiving." I slumped on the red velvet couch next to Neville, in the Gryffindor common room.

"Don't you have people or things you're Thankful for?" He asked me as he shifted uncomfortably on the sofa beside me.

"Well, of course I do, I'm thankful for being freaking alive despite all the dangerous crap we get put through. Thanks for that Harry." I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks for what?" Harry asked as he came and sat down next to me.

"For being you?" Neville said doubtfully.

"Yeah, right. As if Mal could actually say something nice about anyone for a change." Harry challenged and I flipped him off.

"Shut up, will you?" I shoved him and he laughed at me.

"So, what are we talking about?"

"Mal hates Thanksgiving." Neville responded.

"Of course she does." Harry rolled his eyes, "it's not like it's the day you're supposed to be thankful for everything you have and hang out with friends and family. Nothing to love there."

"Whatever Harry. I didn't say i'm not thankful for anything, I simply think it's stupid to only be thankful one day. I mean, you should be thankful for everything you have everyday, maybe not say it out loud but at least think it. Plus, in the muggle world, all families come together and pretend to be nice when they dislike each other, it just feels really fake." I explained. "Plus, the history behind it is disgusting and completely romanticized in most muggle schools. And besides, it's a bloody stupid American holiday that we're celebrating for no reason here. The only good thing about Thanksgiving is the food."

"Food?" Ron came up behind us and leaned on both Harry and my shoulders. "I heard food, do you know what we're getting to eat tonight? Damn, I love Thanksgiving." Harry, Neville, and I all looked at each other and burst out laughing. Of course you would only be thinking about the food.

"Speaking about food, I'll go change and meet you guys downstairs."

I stood up and headed over to the Slytherin dorms, hoping I wouldn't run into him. Of course, my hopes were in vain. As soon as I stepped into the common room, there he was, sitting with Pansy and Blaise. Once I stepped inside they all quieted down.

"Hey, Mal." Blaise greeted me and Draco glared at him.

"Hi Blaise." I smiled at him and leaned over to kiss Draco on the cheek. "Hey fool."

"Hi Kat." He responded. Yeah, just Kat, because he would never dare call me baby in front of his friends. Overconfident fucking jerk.

"Are you coming downstairs?" I asked, trying to stay sweet.

"I'll catch up." He replied stiffly.

"Fine." I sighed.

"Alright." He nodded and turned away from me. Well, at least we are talking now, kind of. I turned and started walking away to go to my dorm.

"What's going on between you two? You seem... tense." I overheard Blaise talk to Draco and stayed behind, where they couldn't see me.

"We're fine." Draco said curtly.

"Pfft. Yeah, right. I haven't seen a more awkward interaction than that in a while." Pansy retorted. Shut up.

"Well, if you say so Malfoy, but you've got to be careful. If you two keep that up, someone will come in and sweep her up from right underneath you." Blaise challenged him, eyeing him carefully.