Chapter 27: Fifth Year Day 1

F I F T H   Y E A R   D A Y   O N E

Mal's POV

I stumbled back as I attempted to carry the heavy backpack from the compartment I had placed it in and a cold hand steadied me. Draco. I turned around quickly and threw myself around him. He chuckled and wrapped his arms around my waist, lifting me up to kiss him gently.

"I missed you." I told him shamelessly.

"Not as much as I missed you." He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"We are not going to have a competition right now... but if we were... I'd win." I winked at him and he laughed again.

I turned to get my backpack and saw Harry and Ron in front of me, glaring at us. Shit. I haven't told Harry yet. I had told the Weasleys over the summer, Fred and George teased me about it endlessly and make kissing sounds whenever I walk by, they don't mind it too much. Ron however, didn't speak to me the first couple nights. I know how Draco has treated him in the past, but I won't let him. He doesn't have to worry about that. Ron doesn't like the idea but by now he's accepted he can't do anything about it.

"What the bloody hell is going on here Mal?!" Harry stepped closer to me.

"Watch your tone Potter." Draco took a step forward.

"Don't tell me to watch it." Harry spit back.

"I'll tell you whatever I want." Draco challenged.

"Oh yeah?" Harry threatened.

"Yeah." Draco and Harry both started walking each other and I stepped in between them.

"Why don't you two just admit you're obsessed with each other?" Ron and Mione stifled a laugh at both of their reactions.

"What?!" They both shouted at the same time and I laughed loudly.

"Great, now that the pissing contest is over can we go? We're holding up the line." I motioned to the growing line behind me on the train.

"Fine," Harry held onto my arm, "but we'll talk about this later." I rolled my eyes and nodded and he walked away with Ron and Mione. Draco was still on alert and I interlaced my fingers with his, his face immediately softened.

"Let's go fool." He nodded and took my backpack from my hand, helping me carry it.

"How was your summer?" He asked me and I recalled the first couple of pitiful weeks, the long weekend with the Weasley's, the books I read.

"Good. Uneventful. Yours?"

"Annoyingly boring."

"I thought you were having issues with your father?"

"Can't really have an issue if he doesn't even speak to you so." He shrugged and tried to pretend that didn't hurt him, I knew better, I know that hurts him. I put my hand on his back and rubbed small circles on it, he visibly relaxed and smiled a tired smile at me.

"You're tired, aren't you fool?"

"Yeah, I guess so. You're staying with me tonight." I looked at him expectantly and he sighed, "please." He muttered reluctantly. I laughed and leaned on his arm a little.

"Obviously, unless McGonagall catches us."

"She hasn't caught us yet and it's been months."

"That's what worried me. Or Snape, ugh he'll give me hell if he catches us."

"No, he'll be fine."

"That's unfair, he's not annoying with you. He's always watching for me to do something wrong, it's like he's waiting for me to slip up. Doesn't he have anything better to do?"