Chapter 41: The Burrow

T H E B U R R O W

———

Mal's POV

I twirled the mash potatoes on my plate with my fork as I thought deeply to find what the hell went wrong the last day that made his promises invalid.

Why wouldn't he write first? Why wouldn't he even write back? It's been over a month, and not a word. This must be what he felt when I didn't do it. It sucks. I mean, we go back to Hogwarts next week. Watch. When I see him I'll... I'll... no hooking up. Yes. He will not touch me until he explains this crap he's pulling. Yeah, this is a totally healthy way to manage this issue. I'm in such a healthy relationship.

I dropped my fork on the plate when I felt someone shove me, dragging me out of my thoughts of Draco.

"What?" I asked Fred and he motioned towards Molly.

"How's the food sweetie? I made your favorite." She smiled at me warmly.

"You didn't have to. It's amazing Molly, thank you so much." I gave her the best smile I could muster.

"You're not eating." Fred pointed out and I glared at him.

"George, do you have a sharper fork? I'm not sure this will go all the way through your brother's hand." Everyone at the table laughed at my comment. Awe that's cute, they think I'm kidding.

"Awe... is little Mal mad?" Fred pinched my cheek and I made a motion to bite him. "Oooo... she bites." He teased and everyone laughed once again. I rolled my eyes at him and brought some of the mash potatoes to my mouth.

"We've missed you here Mal, and of course, you as well Hermione dear." Molly said to us and we both smiled.

"We've missed you." Both Mione and I replied at the same time.

"So, as you know, we are traveling tomorrow for the weekend, but we'll be back two days before you all have to go back to Hogwarts, don't worry. And we'll be back Monday morning so you two don't even think about leaving before we get to say goodbye. It's the last time we'll see you for a year. You all better be careful, Hogwarts is dangerous.." Molly said to us and we all nodded.

We ate the rest of our dinner that way, teasing and joking around and I made an effort to be extra sarcastic to cover up how hurt I was at the lack of Draco's communication with me. They finally headed out at 8 p.m and we all stayed quiet until they were far enough where we could no longer hear them. The moment that happened we all cheered.

"I am genuinely worried about your parents' mental health if they thought it was safe to leave you two in charge." I teased and Fred and George both slung an arm over my shoulder.

"And worried you should be. Who wants a drink?" George asked.

"I'll grab the Firewhiskey." Fred said and they both rushed up.

"I'll start the fire." Mione said and headed over to the chimney.

"I'll help." Ron said and I rolled my eyes when Hermione blushed. I watched Harry and Ginny talk, sitting particularly close together on the sofa, taking advantage of the fact that the twins were upstairs and Ron was too busy drooling over Hermione.

"We got it!" Fred called out and showed us all the bottles. We all cheered and took our places around the chimney, Harry and Ginny on the loveseat, Hermione, Ron, George, and Fred on the sofa, and I on the rug in front of the sofa. Fred patted the small spot on the sofa next to him and I shook my head, he sighed and slid down next to me on the floor, handing me the bottle. I looked at it for a minute before taking a big drink.