15: Said Shame

“Reese, why do you insist on doing shit like this?” I asked her while unlocking the door to my apartment. I walked down the hall and stripped out of my work clothes and into a  loose tank top and ankle-length leggings.

“I must lose at least ten pounds for the wedding. I wanna try the class. Don’t you dare be late.” I rolled my eyes.

“Ashley’s taking me, so I won’t be.”

“I’ll see you later. 6:30!” I hung up and removed my make up before grabbing a bag. I walked to the kitchen and put a water bottle in the bag as well as a small towel.

“I swear we have no food in this house,” I said to myself. I could hear the front door open, and I prayed for a miracle.

“Seafood on me. You owe me for tomorrow.” Carter placed the bag on the island counter.

“I’m starting to depend on you more and more each day.” I told him as I tore the to-go box open. The smell of fried fish made me weak in the knees. After my meal, I washed it down with water before putting on flip flops. “I’ll see you later.”

“Where are you going?”

“To a pole dancing class.” I shrugged my bag onto my shoulder.

“Learning some new moves for us.”

“Don’t get your hopes up Carter.” I closed the door behind me and bounded down the steps. Ashley pulled up as I reached the ground floor. “Gum?”

“Center console. You smell of fish.”

“I had seafood. Delicious,” I moaned at the memory. “You should try it.”

“Anyway, is Talia going?”

“Nope. She said tonight she was finally going to tell James. Hopefully she doesn’t chicken out.” We parked in the front before making our way into the small studio.

“Class?”

“Pole dancing.” Ashley answered.

“Studio C.” The receptionist gave us directions and we were on our merry way. Reese as well as some other bridal party members were there.

“On time.” Reese nodded in approval. I pushed her face back with my hand before tossing my bag in the corner. I fastened my heels on before joining the rest of the class members on the floor.

“We are all freaks inside, so don’t be shy.” The class instructor, Cherry, which is ironic, showed us some basic moves to get started.

“Mom would be so proud,” Reese said aloud causing us to laugh.

“Let’s start with a front hook spin to get you used to the pole and its feel.” Cherry announced. She set the mood with some background music and we were off to dancing on a pole.

“Hook your inside leg around the front of the pole,” she said. Ashley ended up tripping doing God knows what. “It’s okay. Just get back up and try again.”

“This pole is the devil.” Most of us had already perfected the move and were moving along well in the class.

“You guys have been the best class I’ve ever taught.” Cherry noted.

“I’m flattered.” She turned on Pusher Love Girl by Justin Timberlake and we began the routine. We had our laughs as some people decided they wanted to show off on their moves and Cherry went out of her way to show us her moves.

“We are definitely doing this again,” Reese said as we walked out.

“That was so fun. Cherry is the most vibrant person I have ever been around.”