42: Said Relationship

I opened the door to my apartment, dropping boxes and bags on the floor. Ashley came in shortly after. "I can't believe Carter's really leaving."

"You and me both."

"My best friend experiencing her first breakup?" I lightly shoved Ashley as she sat down on the couch from me. "What time do you have work?"

"Two hours."

"Enough time for us to chat." She said. Her tone of voice made me suspicious. "Kinsley and Cedric are politely kicking me out." I began laughing loudly.

"You wanna move in when Carter leaves?"

"Not directly after. I don't want to intrude or anything."

"No. It's fine. You know I hate living alone. That's how Carter moved in with me in the first place." I sighed wistfully. "If only he hadn't moved in."

"Then you wouldn't experience great, phenomenal sex and your first real relationship." Ashley glanced at me. "At least as real as it can get."

"Should I be offended?"

"No. Of course not." She tucked her knees under herself before facing me. "So, what's this I hear about a goodbye party?"

"Small. No party because he does not need to be boarding a plane hungover."

"You sound like a typical, caring girlfriend. Look at my bestfriend maturing." Ashley grinned widely at me making me uncomfortable in the slightest. "Are you blushing?"

"Stop before you end up finding somewhere else to live."

"Trust me when I say I have plenty options." We laid there for about an hour throwing out random ideas for this small get together when Carter walked in with an envelope and bags. "What's in the bags?" Ashley asked.

"Hello to you too. And it's not for you."

"Who's it for then?" I asked, trying to see inside, but he dragged it away from me before handing me a cup of tea. I swear I almost cried at the kind gesture. "You bought me teavana tea?"

"Are you seriously about to cry over some tea?" Ashley stared at me as if I were a freak of nature. "Are you pregnant?"

"Please tell me you aren't because you said you were on the pill? I don't need-," I cut Carter's rant off.

"Relax. I'm not pregnant. I'm just really touched." I said as I sipped from my drink. "Really, really touched." I placed a hand on my heart for emphasis.

"Anyway," Carter said. "This is also for you." He handed me the envelope, still keeping the bags away from me.

"What about the shopping bags? Did you buy more clothes for yourself because you're about to leave and I don't think you can take that many clothes on the plane?" I smiled widely when he handed the bag over to me.

"I'm going to take a shower."

"Is this my birthday present?" I called down the hall.

"Not even close." I fluttered when he winked at me.

"You are about to get the best birthday sex of the century. I'm even excited for you." I rolled my eyes at Ashley before looking at the items in front of me. "Well? Open the envelope first."

I tore the envelope open, pulling out a letter, completely ignoring the forms and excess papers. "Blah, blah, we are glad to inform you, blah."

"Sounds like a college acceptance letter," Ashley muttered.