Home for Christmas (ScarletWidow)

natasha has a one month undercover op, leaving wanda alone in their apartment. 

(art credit to rslkam over on Tumblr!!)

(YES I KNOW I JUST DID THIS LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE ITS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT TRUST ME)

Natasha hated leaving in December. She knew that Wanda got really lonely around Christmas time, since it always reminded her of Pietro, and her family. 

But when Nick Fury asks you to do an undercover op, you can't really turn it down. 

Plus, if she does it right (which she often does) then she'll be home Christmas Eve, in time to have a 'family dinner' with the rest of the team. 

She shuts off her phone after responding to Wanda's goodbye message, and boards Zephyr 1, greeting the team she'll be working with. 

A few newbies, two with powers, two kids from Sci-Tech, and a man bigger than Grant Ward. She knew May, an old friend from Operations. 

"Daisy Johnson." One of the powered up ones introduces. "That's Elena, everyone calls her Yo-Yo. Fitzsimmons-"

"Fitz." The woman points at the man. 

"Simmons." Fitz says, like a well rehearsed machine. 

Natasha grins, and Daisy continues the introductions. "That's Mack. And I'm assuming you know May." Natasha nods, and Daisy claps her hands. 

"Then that's everyone. Well, almost everyone. Our director will be here shortly." Daisy shares a grin with Simmons. 

"Is there something I should know?" Natasha asks, reading the room pretty quickly. She picked out certain ticks that each member had, cataloguing it. 

There was something they all knew, something that had to do with the Director of SHIELD since Fury stepped down. 

Natasha had assumed that Daisy was the director, but perhaps not. 

Daisy might not have been the director, but she knew her way around, she knew the people she was working with. She showed Natasha where to put her things, before they reconvened in the main room. 

"Our director." Daisy does a little bow, and in walks a dead man. 

"Coulson?" Natasha asks, her jaw dropping. 

Coulson does the same little bow as Daisy, and moves forward to hug Natasha. 

"I know you aren't a hugger, let me have this." He murmurs in Nat's ear. 

"I missed you." Natasha whispers back.  

Coulson breaks the hug. "So, you got introduced to my team. Technically, SHIELD isn't supposed to exist, but we need your help with something. It should only take a month. You'll be back for Christmas Eve." 

Natasha nods, and Coulson begins his briefing. 

***

One week until Nat got to go back home. 

The new SHIELD was cool, and scarily powerful (like where were they when any of their major fights happened? Apparently busy with their own scary crap.) but Natasha missed her family. 

These people were all close, and granted Natasha knew Melinda and Coulson, but she didn't have the connection that these new agents all have, and she probably wouldn't. (Obviously the standard was going through major life or death experiences, and Nat had enough of those to last her a life time.)