Kisses at Midnight (WinterFalcon) (edited)

high school au!! 

Bucky leans over the balcony at Tony's house, music blaring from downstairs.

Tony was having a New Year's Party, since they were seniors and it would be their last New Year's party together and he invited the whole school. (Tony never passed on an excuse to have a party, though, it was almost a normal occurrence whenever something happens to later see a post from Tony that he was having a party.)

Bucky wasn't a fan of parties, the only reason he came is because Sam wanted him to come, and Bucky was terrible at saying no to his best friend.

Now, it was five minutes till midnight, and Bucky was alone.

"Bucky? Whatcha doing out here?" Bucky turns around to see Sam leaning against the doorway. Bucky grins and Sam pushes himself off the wall and stands next to him.

"Wanted to get away from the crowd," Bucky says, not quite telling the truth.

He wanted to get away from the crowd... and Sam.

Sam who couldn't stop smiling, Sam who looked so much happier surrounded by people, Sam whose eyes were glittering in the flashing LED lights as he dances.

Sam, who Bucky was irrevocably in love with.

Sam nods, like he doesn't believe Bucky, but doesn't say anything.

"Three minutes till midnight." Sam comments, pulling out his phone to check. "Got anyone you want to kiss?"

You.

But Bucky doesn't say that. Instead he shakes his head. "Anyone for you?"

Sam meets Bucky's eyes and smiles. "Nah. I think I'm good out here."

"You sure?" Bucky asks. Sam nods, before looking at his phone again.

"Thirty seconds."

Turmoil swirls in Bucky's head. Sam is here, Sam stayed, why did he stay.

From below, Bucky can hear people cheering and starting to count down till New Year's.

10

9

8

"You don't have to stay, Sam, if there's someone else you'd rather be with." Bucky says.

7

6

5

"There's no one I'd rather be with," Sam nudges his shoulder with Bucky and a blush spreads across his cheeks.

4

3

"Actually, Sam, I wanted to ask you-"

2

"What is it?"

1

Cheers erupt from the party downstairs, but all Bucky can hear is roaring in his ears as he turns to fully face Sam.

"Can I kiss you?" Bucky asks.

Sam breaks out into a wide grin. "Yes!"

Bucky isn't quite sure who moves first but they meet in the middle, noses bumping together.

"Happy New Year, Buck," Sam mumbles, interlacing his fingers with Bucky's.

"Happy New Year, indeed," Bucky says, grinning. 

woooo!!! i'm on a roll!!!!

come find me on my ao3 (angelwiththebluebox) and insta (valleyval221) 

xoxo val