I Hate Roller Coasters (Scarlet Widow)

hey yall so this was requested by hannahstarzzzz so i hope this lives up to your expectations

it's a college au so enjoy

If there was one thing Wanda hated more than social interaction, it was roller coasters. 

And she was currently doing both. 

It was terrible. 

She and her brother Pietro had been invited to one of the 'class of 2020 does something fun' things, and while Wanda had strongly argued against, her aunt and uncle were very for the idea, and so here she was. 

In line for the largest roller coaster at the park, stuck between her brother and his boyfriend, and Natasha Romanoff, one of the most intimidating seniors, and Wanda's crush of three years. 

"So, Wanda, what do you like to do for fun?" Natasha asks awkwardly. 

"What is this, a job interview?" Wanda retorts, before the words register in her brain. "Shit, that sounded really mean, I'm sorry." Wanda's cheeks flush red, and she looks down at her shoes. 

"No, you're right, it did sound like a job interview." Natasha thinks for a moment. "Actually, you know what, I think I've gotten that question at a job interview."

Wanda laughs, and Natasha smiles proudly, like she'd successfully stopped World War III, not made an awkward teenager laugh. 

The line starts moving, and Natasha nudges me forward, her trademark smile on her lips. 

"You still haven't answered my question." Natasha comments. 

"Wha-what?"

"I might've phrased it poorly, but I meant it. What do you do when you're not stressing over Mr. Coulson's history assignments?"

"My brother does cross country, so I'm helping him train, but I love to draw." Wanda tells her, grinning. 

"Really? What do you like to draw?"

"I love drawing people. Real people, and sometimes fictional." She wrings her hands together, red staining her cheeks. Wanda doesn't tell people that she likes drawing fanart in the first conversation, but it's too late to take it back. 

"That's so cool! I wish I could draw, but I can barely draw a stick figure." Natasha shrugs, as a 'what are you going to do' type motion, and her head, Wanda traces the shadows and highlights of Nat's figure. 

"So what do you like to do?" Wanda repeats Natasha's original question back to her. 

"I take kick-boxing and taekwondo." Natasha answers casually, walking forward as we near the start of the line. 

"Tha-that's cool." Wanda answers, not fully paying attention as the cart screeches to a stop, and they start boarding. 

"You okay?" Natasha asks, touching Wanda's arm lightly. 

"I just, I'm not a big fan of roller coasters." She stutters nervously, tripping and nearly falling into the seat, catching herself at the last minute. 

"You can sit next to me, and if you get scared, you can hold my hand." Natasha offers. I blush and nod, buckling my seatbelt. 

The ride lurches forward, and I grab Nat's hand, my other hand clutching the handlebar. 

***

"That was terrifying." Wanda breaths, her voice rough from screaming. 

Natasha grins, her hair windswept and her hand still enclasped in Wanda's. 

"I thought it was fun. What next?" Natasha asks her. Wanda looks up at Natasha, confusion written over her face. 

"What? You thought I'd let you third wheel with Mr. Sappy and In Love over there?" Natasha jerks a finger to where Clint and Pietro were sitting on a bench, doing gross coupley stuff. 

"Oh than-thanks." 

"Oh! Let's get funnel cakes. I've always wanted to try funnel cakes." Natasha pulls Wanda through the crowds, rambling on about funnel cakes and amusement parks, and honestly Wanda doesn't remember much of it. 

But she does remember the way Natasha's eyes sparkled when the sunlight hit them, and the way she lit up when Wanda agreed to go out with her. 

Maybe roller coasters weren't so awful after all. 

I hope you liked it!!!

remember request any ideas tropes ships anything!

and share and vote!!!

thanks for reading!

XOXO Valkyrie