colors - wandanat (edited)

highschool au

It was all black and white.

According to Wanda and Pietro's foster mom, it's how the world has been. You can't see colors until you meet your person.

That was how she described it. 'Your person'. In school people said soulmate, but Wanda liked your person better. Pietro was content with never finding his person. He was fine just with their group of friends, but Wanda wasn't.

She was caught up in the stories her foster mom told them, of locking eyes with your person and color erupting into your world, being able to see everything for the first time with the person you're destined to be together with. Wanda wanted that more than anything, she wanted it so fucking badly. And it was her senior year of college, she still had so much time to meet her person, but she'll see her friends that have already found their people and be hit with a wave of loneliness that cuts deep in her soul.

Having Pietro had helped, but now it's time for college tours and applications and Wanda is having her midlife crisis at 18.

Their now adopted mother was taking them on a grand college tour experience/roadtrip. Both Pietro and Wanda had made a list of their top five colleges and they would go to each one and tour around and see how the colleges fit with what they wanted to study.

(Pietro was hoping to major in aerodynamics and Wanda didn't know what she wanted to do, but she was looking into womens and gender studies or photography.)

Their first college was one of Wanda's choices, UCLA. The campus was huge, but thankfully, they had signed up for a tour with a couple other families that were looking at arts programs. Well, with one other family. The middle of the school year clearly isn't a popular time to tour colleges. It was two girls, the older one with short hair and a leather jacket and the younger one with her hair braided down her back.

Wanda kinda wished that the tour would just be her mom and her and her brother, but at least it wasn't like thirty people all clamoring to ask questions.

"Alright, I'll be your guide today, my name is Saturn, I use they/them pronouns, and I'm majoring in screenwriting and minoring in astrophysics. I think since we have a small group today, let's go around and say our names and pronouns and what you want to study, if it applies."

The other family starts.

"I'm Natasha's father, Alexei. He/him."

"I'm Melina. She/they."

"I'm Natasha. She/her, and I want to major in ballet." Natasha introduces. She elbows her sister lightly and the younger one introduces herself. "I'm Yelena. She/they."

And then it's their turn.

"I'm these guys mother, Sara, and she/her." Sara nods to Pietro, who introduces himself and then it's Wanda's turn.

She'd effectively been looking at the ground since introductions started. She hated having to speak up in front of people she wasn't comfortable with.

"I'm Wanda, she/her, and I want to major in women's and gender studies or photography." Wanda looks up as she finishes and for the first time meets Natasha's eyes.

And everything falls away except for the color that blooms into her world and Natasha's sparkling green eyes staring at hers.

Wanda rubs her eyes and looks around at the campus that's now blossoming with colors. Saturn starts leading them to the main arts building and Natasha hurries past her, keeping her eyes locked on the ground and Pietro grabs Wanda's arm.

"Hey, you okay?"

"That's my soulmate." Wanda blurts. "Natasha. She's my person. And she couldn't even look at me." Pietro wraps his arm around Wanda's shoulder and they walk near the back of the group, in hearing distance of Saturn who is chatting with Sara and Alexei. Natasha's murmuring to Yelena and Wanda just wishes she could talk to her.

The tour continues, Wanda sticking close to Pietro's side and not being able to speak up, her throat feeling like it's closing up. All she wanted, all she ever wanted was her person.

And she'd found her.

And she couldn't even look at Wanda, let alone talk to her.

.

The tour was over. Saturn had given all of them one meal swipe to go check out the dining area, and Sara and Natasha's parents were already best fucking friends, so obviously they were sitting together and Wanda couldn't handle it.

As they were waiting in line for the pizza, she grabbed Natasha and pulled her out of line and over by the bathrooms where it was quieter.

"What the fuck!" She demands. "I know you saw color too, so why are you avoiding me!"

Natasha's mouth parts and all she does is stare at Wanda for a solid minute, before finally speaking. "You're really pretty."

"That's the first thing you say to me! You've been avoiding me all day!" Wanda spits, feeling her cheeks heat up in spite of her anger.

"I'm so sorry. I just- my sister, Yelena, met her soulmate when she was five. A girl named Kate Bishop. It's not romantic, Kate's actually dating this girl, America. But Yelena and Kate have plans to live together when they're older and Yelena's even willing to deal with getting a dog because Kate loves dogs. They're more than friends, but not romantically and honestly, I'm jealous of their relationship a bit, and then all of sudden I could see color and I panicked because I had built this whole idea in my head and what if you didn't like me or what if I scared you away and instead I did the exact opposite and I'm so sorry." Natasha rambles.

"Oh." Is all Wanda can say.

"Good oh or bad oh?" Natasha asks, fighting a smile.

"Good." Wanda holds out her hand tentatively and Natasha takes it.

"Ready to go face our families?" Natasha asks and Wanda smiles at her.

"As long as we're facing them together." 

if youre an og reader, you might recall that this story wasnt always wandanat, and i changed it because there was a color related soulmate au that was dedicated to hawksilver already, so i figured id give wandanat their shot

hope you liked it 

xoxo val