CHAPTER 29: Time of the 'Hundred-man' Beast

Nagisa stood there, blood-drenched, but his skin was completely fine. He has no bruises though Koro can see that his body had just undergone regeneration because of the dried blood all over his body.

"F-For goodness s-sak—"

Aguri's sobs were uncontrollable, and even finishing a sentence is difficult.

Seeing Nagisa in this condition was draining.

"I'm sorry for making you worry--"

The beast seemed to recognize Nagisa's voice because upon hearing this, the 300-pound beast charged at him in an inhumane speed.

No.

Koro reacted fast and ran for the beast while Nagisa just stood at his spot.

Is he not aware? Aguri needs to stop, she needs to cover her mouth and stop sobbing.

"Aguri, take Akari and hide--" Luckily, Koro were able to pull her out of her trance.

Shit, this beast already ate numerous people. It exceeds our normal consumption. Koro also wanted to stop stressing himself but instead of his thoughts, his body just stopped moving before he can even touch the beast--

Everything was so sudden.

Nagisa's hand was already inside the beast's chest, pulling a throbbing muscle in a second...

It was the beast's heart.

However, it was still alive and about to claw Nagisa...

...but the attack never reached him.

The beast collapsed on the ground, dead.

How on earth--

"Nagisa..."

"He's not Jiro, nii-san. He just consumed Jiro's clone. That explains why he has this scent and spots." Nagisa remarked.

Koro stood beside him and stared at the body. The image of the dead body was becoming more of a human as he stares at it longer. It was indeed a human.

"That's Akira Takaoka. Unfortunately, he lost his sane and went berserk inside the lab...

"... I-I'm the only one who made it out. He went after me but he ended up attacking you...

"I can't save them all. Takaoka's fast... a-and it took me a lot of time to understand how his stimulus works--" Nagisa's lips began to quiver as he resisted to cry.

"I-I couldn't save a single one--"

Koro didn't know what to say, considering that it was pointless to tell the overly dramatic description of how worried he was.

He hugged Nagisa tight. It was a mixed expression of sorry, thankfulness, happiness, worry and relief.

"I'm sorry too-- that I couldn't save you, Nagisa...and I failed my mission to protect you--" Koro's warmth started to move Nagisa.

"Even Kayano was wounded. I made you worry. I'm sorry—"

Finally, Nagisa cried and let the pain that he's been carrying alone begone. Finally, he's with the people who he can depend on, people who carries the same guilt and burden as he is. The same people who he wanted to share his life with.