CHAPTER 13: Time to Turn the Tables

“Tell me that’s a lie.” Kaede continuously mutters while they wait for her to process and accept every piece of information that Aguri said.

Rio reached for Nagisa’s hand, asking if they are ready for this unexpected turn of events. He just smiled and nodded. Does that mean he already built the trust that Karasuma required? Is their bond with Kayano Kaede enough?

“Hush now Akari. You wouldn’t like it if they see you like this.” Aguri forced a giggle to imply that Kaede  has companies. She patted her sister’s back before pulling from her embrace to dry her own face. Kaede on the other hand is still drowning into thoughts as she rubs her eyes like an all-day crying baby.

“I’ll leave you here, ‘kay?” Aguri’s about to stand but Kaede grabbed her wrist to pull her into a hug again. She’s not done yet.

Rio made the lead this time and laid her hand on Kaede’s shoulder, as she smiles reassuringly to Aguri. Kaede flinched but that touch actually made her calm and relax.

She can’t say something, and even if she tries, she doesn’t know where to start. Kaede knows that she needs to apologize for a lot of things, but she can’t. She’s just too afraid to face them.

Aguri wants to help her sister to get out of her shell. She’s absolutely aware that no one holds resentment towards Kaede and everyone in that place is equally kindhearted like her little sister. She knows that. And they will be fine.

“It’s fine, it is fine.” Aguri patted Kaede again for the second attempt to let go from her embrace. And this time, Nagisa caught the break to offer a towel for both of them.

“Hey,” He smiled, and that reminds Kaede of how messed up she was in that embarrassing night with drunk Nagisa, “Everything is fine. Trust us.”

Kaede buries her face on the towel, slowly accepting the reality. She trusts them, all well. Her heart trusted them and their bond from the start, but her mind always opposes.

“Nice haircut Nagisa-kun.” Aguri said casually after completely drying her face, as if nothing happened.

“Really, Sensei? I thought it was too much.” Nagisa runs his hand on his newly cut hair.

“No. It’s actually perfect. That makes me think, I should have cut it myself. Right?” Aguri giggles.

“Maybe next time Sensei.” Rio teased.

“Nagisa obviously doesn’t like it.” Aguri pouted, “I’m just kidding though. Come here.” She gestured to come closer to her and locked them in her arms to snug, “Where’s the nori?” she suddenly giggled.

Oh crap.

Nagisa remembers how he let the bags slip from his grip. And he immediately rushed through  the front door to fetch the stuffs… and Sakura, of course he remembered.

They are very happy, and true. Kaede can feel it. Her sister will never act like that if she’s hiding something. It’s hard to believe these things but if there’s something greater than being happy, that’s how she feels right now. Her sister’s alive and well, and she doesn’t have to mind her stupid mission.

And yes, she realized how foolish she had been.

Stupid.

If Nagisa and Rio did not bonded with her this past weeks, she couldn’t imagine what she might have done to them. Hurt them or kill them, or to not believe in her own sister’s words.

“I’m sorry Nakamura-san.” Kaede just stared at her own feet resting on the floor as she leans her back on the edge of the Rio’s bed.

“If you promise me that this will be the last time that this place will cater crying people. Yukimura-sensei’s always upset, so I always imagine her crying.”